🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Identity verification
Page options
d277beaa
Community Member

Know Your Customer

Hi all, I recently created an agency account. I haven't added anybody, but as soon as I created it, I am being shown this notification.
'''
We are completing a Know Your Customer review of your account. This process should be completed within 24 to 48 hours. If the hold on your account is not removed within 48 hours, please contact Upwork Customer Support.

'''

So, kindly help me with this.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Khurram, 

I want to confirm that we have several verification processes. This helps us confirm that a user's identity is legitimate and they are who they say they are, which keeps the marketplace safe from fraudulent users. 

On Upwork, users may be asked to verify their identities from time to time. In this case, the team is reviewing your account as part of our Know Your Customer (KYC) Identity Information process. Although it may seem that the methods are the same, they are for different purposes. 

If it has been more than 48-hours and your account is still being reviewed, you can come back here or contact the Customer Support Team directly to be assisted further. 
How do I reach a human in customer support?

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

590 REPLIES 590

Hi Fernando,

I can sense the urgency of your account reactivation concern. I can see that you've been coordinating with the team about this case and a couple of support tickets have been raised. One of the team members has responded to your ticket on this page with more information about the status of your account and instructions for resolving the issue.

Please don't hesitate to communicate with the team through that ticket or your email; they'll surely assist you accordingly.

~ Arjay
Upwork
ad47561d
Community Member

Recently, I have created client account but after 2 business days, this warned message is not disappeeared.

Please help me with this warning.

"

Some of your services are temporarily on hold.

We are completing a Know Your Customer review of your account. This process should be completed within 24 to 48 hours. If the hold on your account is not removed within 48 hours, please contact Upwork Customer Support.

"

Hi Pablo,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you on this page with more information and further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
e9a40140
Community Member

Hello Upwork Team, I received a notice that some of my services are temporarily on hold for a Know Your Customer review. Could you please provide more information on the process and expected timeline for resolution? Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

''Some of your services are temporarily on hold. We are completing a Know Your Customer review of your account. This process should be completed within 24 to 48 hours. If the hold on your account is not removed within 48 hours, please contact Upwork Customer Support.''

wrote:

Hello Upwork Team, I received a notice that some of my services are temporarily on hold for a Know Your Customer review. Could you please provide more information on the process and expected timeline for resolution? Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

''Some of your services are temporarily on hold. We are completing a Know Your Customer review of your account. This process should be completed within 24 to 48 hours. If the hold on your account is not removed within 48 hours, please contact Upwork Customer Support.''

Has it been more than 48 hours?
If not, than keep waiting to be contacted by someone from UpWork team to confirm your ID.

More about KYC:
https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211067818-Know-Your-Customer-KYC-Identity-Information

560c4788
Community Member

I have already submitted my details about my verification and it has already been approved but I still receive the following message:

Please I want to solve this problem as soon as possible!
b47c4c43
Community Member

Hello,

I am reaching out through a here because I haven't heard from the support team regarding the service hold on my account and have the restriction for over a week without any explaination from Upwork. To give you a background:

• My account has a service hold due to "know your customer" for over a week.
  • I still don't know why this happened, and the support team does not provide any information to me, nor are they helping me resolve this.
  • They said they needed information regarding my client account. However, I am mainly a freelancer on Upwork, and I have the same service hold on my freelancer account, which is blocking me from getting paid.
  • I've been trying to help you guys quickly, share any information you require, share any documents you need. I even offered to join a video call to enlighten your end on whatever the problem is.
  • Today, it's been more than a week, and I still have the same restriction on my account without any explanation from Upwork, and the support team is unresponsive.

I understand you guys are busy with hundreds of tickets you receive, however, if you are blocking a freelancer's access to his funds, you must be more responsive and more descriptive. I am someone making a living by freelancing on Upwork for over a year, and I need access to my funds and to get paid ASAP. Upwork is literally preventing me to withdraw balance for the work I have already done as a freelancer, and does not provide any explanation, nor get the resolved.

I am aware that this might fall outside of your responsibility, however, the support team is not responding and being responsible. I would appreciate it if you can help me gain access to my balance back. Again, I am willing to provide any information you need, but your questions like "what do you hire for", "where are you based", and "what's your website" don't seem enough to put a restriction on a freelancer's balance.

Please, I am expecting your help on this as I have payments to make. Let me know if there is anything else I can do on my end to clarify any questions from Upwork's side.

Best regards,

Taha

denise_robinson
Community Member

Hello, 

I must say, this is extremely frustrating and feels wrong. I am unable to withdraw my hard-earned money due to the "know your customer" hold. This is all because I wanted to create a client acount. There has got to be better systems in place than to put a hold on my withdrawal ability. It has been 5 plus days. There is no way to reach a human regarding such an important matter. I finally received a response to my ticket, gave the requested information and the hold is still not removed. This is not integrous on Upwork's part. Why block freelancers earnings just because of a client account request. I'd appreciate some assistance please.

Thanks

Hoi Denise,

We certainly understand how important it is for you to get paid with your hard-earned on schedule. I can confirm that the support ticket linked to your case is still open and active. I've submitted a follow-up to the team handling the case to give this the attention it deserves. 

Kindly expect an update on your ticket momentarily.

~ Arjay
Upwork
154e8817
Community Member

I was working with someone that needed to be invited to apply to a job post I created so she could submit a custom proposal.  Once I posted that job as she requested, my account got suspended.  Now I cannot message her to even say I am having problems doing as she requested as my message is "in an archived room." 

Upon investigating, I see that I have to verify my identity with government ID.  I cannot believe in this day and age when identity theft is so rampant and sites like Microsoft can get hacked that anyone would reasonably expect a person to be willing to upload such documentation. 

As a victim of identity theft in the past and having been notified by several of my vendors including Wells Fargo, Microsoft, and Sony that my information with them has on occassion been compromise when their sites were hacked, I hope there is some alternative. I am willing to pay the person in advance rather than upload such sensitive information.  Even with the best of safeguards, the most secure sites have the potential of being compromised. 

Is there any alternative? I would like to move forward with the project, but not at the cost of risking such vulnerability! 

Hi John,

I'm sorry to hear that your account got suspended and you couldn't communicate with the person you wanted to hire. I understand your concern about uploading your government ID to verify your identity, especially if you have experienced identity theft before. However, this is a necessary step to ensure the security and trust of our platform and our users.

We take your privacy very seriously and we use Transport Layer Security (TLS) to encrypt the access to Upwork and Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology to encrypt the transmission of any sensitive information you provide, such as tax information. You can learn more about how we protect your data here. 

Currently, uploading your ID is the only way to restore your account and resume your hiring process. I appreciate your cooperation and understanding in this matter. Feel free to message us if you have further questions. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
81d53d55
Community Member

So I setup an upwork account recently, set-up my agency account as well, bought a bunch of connects, and sent out some proposals.

All is great up till this point, when upwork asked me to re-verify my account. Okay, so I re-verify my account, and its successful, and to my horror, all my proposals are withdrawn by upwork with NO refund of connect, and NO reinstatement of the proposal after the re-verification.

I am pretty sure my account is 100% verified before I bought any connect. And if not, then why would upwork allows newly created account to be able to buy connect and send proposal in the first place??? Suspension of the proposal is fine, but this should be temporary or comes with a refund. Otherwise, this whole set-up is ridiculous and scammy, and making me seriously thinking about the viability of upwork as a legit channel!!!

The worst thing is, there isn't even a live chat or email that I can write in to ask. Would really appreciate a support ticket to be raised by upwork customer service to look into this ASAP.

Hi Ping,

I'm sorry to hear about the action taken on your account and your experience contacting our support team. I understand how disappointing it must be to have your proposals withdrawn. 

I would like to clarify that you can purchase Connects and submit proposals before verifying your account. I checked your account and it looks like there is a flag triggered on your Upwork account which required additional verification. This also resulted in proposal removal. 

I will share your account with our customer support team to investigate further and check how we can assist you with your concern. You can access your support tickets hereI hope this helps and I wish you all the best with your freelancing career 

- Pradeep 

Upwork
8e9534b0
Community Member

My KYC was completed and then when I tried adding a billing method my account went into review again, and now it has been in review for more than 4 days. I can't buy connects or add a billing method. Kindly can anyone help me with this?

Hi Muhammad,

I am sorry to hear about the delay in reviewing your account. I have followed up with the team handling your account and one of our team members will review and update your account as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience and cooperation. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
7099f137
Community Member

I have hired a person to help me. When I went to pay him, a banner was across the top of my account that said:

Why has this happened?

Hi Robin,

Apologies for the inconvenience experienced while we complete a review of your account. It looks like the billing method you were trying to add has triggered this review process. Please allow 24-48 hours for our team to review and restore your account.

- Pradeep

Upwork
1ecfc149
Community Member

Hi, Please guide me through the process, I couldn't find how to reach customer support or a real human or how to open a ticket.

1ecfc149_0-1708373403888.png

Hi Zaid,

I can see that you've reached out to our support team and raised a ticket about your KYC review. I've submitted a follow-up to the team handling your case. Kindly expect an update from one the team members on this page momentarily.

~ Arjay
Upwork
alimohamed15
Community Member

I have received this message over a week ago and I don't know what to do

Hi Ali,

I've followed up with the team that's handling your account review. Please allow them time to check and update you directly. about your account. 

Edit: Hi Ali, I'm following up here to update you that the team has confirmed that this has now been resolved.

~ Joanne
Upwork
a68be787
Community Member

I was in the middle of getting a quote for my project when I saw a notification in my messages saying - I'm currently restricted from this conversation. what is happening?

Restricted or blocked?

If restricted, attach a screenshot.

If blocked, the client doesn't want to talk anymore.

Hi Roxane,

Hi Roxane,

I am sorry to hear about the action taken on your account. I checked your account and I see that one of our team members has already reached out to you via a support ticket for the same concern. You can access your support tickets here. Please don't hesitate to follow up with them on the same support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

- Pradeep

Upwork
30677d74
Community Member

Hello Upwork Community,

How can I resolve the situation where I unintentionally created a company profile on Upwork while exploring the platform as a client, and now Upwork is requesting my company information to avoid account suspension? What steps should I take to rectify this issue? 

ad777f3b
Community Member

I'm getting from 5 days. Please solve this issue so that I can add my billing method

Hi Muhammad,

I see that you've been coordinating with the team through a support ticket regarding your account verification concerns. We highly suggest you continue communicating with the team through that ticket so that they can assist you more efficiently. 

You may access your ticket on this page and email for updates.

~ Arjay
Upwork
islanderjoe
Community Member

I have been a freelancer on Upwork for many years and just added a client profile a few days ago to hire another freelancer to complete some tasks. My account email was verified, but when I added my payment info, the account was pending until billing method was verified. I was allowed to post an ad and receive responses from interested candidates, but I cannot communicate with them until my payment option is verified. It has been a few days and the customer service chatbot proves to be unable to assist me and I cannot find another method to resolve this issue. No communication has been delivered to me from Upwork to explain the delay or why my payment methods have not been verified. I have tried using both a c.c. and paypal as options. Any help in resolving this is appreciated.

Hi Darren, I guess you didn't recieve an answer because the problem is not clear. As I read and see, the main issue is, you cannot hire someone for the project because your payment still on verify process. Try to submit again, a ticket with a screenshot of the problem (the payment verify message) and for sure they reply quicly, seems everything is automated nowadays. Have a nice day! Mery. 

Thanks for your response. I have tried submitting payment information on multiple occasions and still get the same message to wait for 48 hours or contact support if I haven't heard anything further within 48 hours. Well that timeframe has passed and I am no further ahead. Call me blind or simply incapable of navigating the Upwork website, but I am unable to find where I would submit a ticket. Any guidance there? Thanks!

JoanneP,

I am facing the same issue with not being able to submit a support ticket. The chat bot feature is not useful and just repeats the same messages over and over. I have been waiting several days for billing verification so that I may follow up with respondents to a job listing I posted. I recieve the following message whenever I try to submit payment info:
"Some of your services are temporarily on hold.

We are completing a Know Your Customer review of your account. This process should be completed within 24 to 48 hours. If the hold on your account is not removed within 48 hours, please contact Upwork Customer Support."

It has been more than 48 hours and the hold has not been removed and no one has responded with any reasons why. It is impossible to speak with anyone 'live' to resolve the issue. My job listing is posted, interested freelancers are responding and wanting the job, yet I have to remian unresponsive to them... making it very difficult to start a working relationship on a positive note. How can this be resolved?

Hi Darren,

I followed up with the team handling the review on your account and it should all be resolved now. Could you please confirm?

~Andrea
Upwork

Hi Andrea,

Everything has been resolved. Thank you for your quick response.

- Darren

b5bf9bb2
Community Member

hey today it sent me a notification to verify my account but i dont have a visa or a passport 
and this massage is on the top of my upwork pages( Some of your services are temporarily on hold
We would love to get you up and running again on Upwork. But first, we need you to take a few minutes to verify your identity. Click “Get Started” below to begin or “Learn More” for details. Thank you!)

Hi Mohamed,

The documents we accept include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria. Feel free to use any of these or other eligible documents to complete your verification.

~Andrea
Upwork
e0bb29f4
Community Member

Hi

sir/mam i am facing a issue i cannot change my upwork name  on id verification its is giving me hamza ali khan i have remove the payment method plz correct it to Hamza Ali Akbar

Hamza

If you're encountering issues changing your name on Upwork for ID verification, you should reach out to Upwork Support for assistance. They can help you update your name to ensure it matches your legal documentation accurately. Here's how you can contact Upwork Support:

1. Log in to your Upwork account.
  2. Go to the Help & Support page by clicking on the question mark icon (?) at the top-right corner of the Upwork website.
  3. In the Help & Support page, click on the "Get Help" button.
  4. Choose a relevant topic related to your issue or select "See more options" if you can't find a suitable topic.

Hi Hamza,

It looks like you were recently able to make this change! If you still need any assistance please let us know.

~Andrea
Upwork
9dfde40d
Community Member

Hello, I moved from Belarus to Georgia and I need to verify my identity and prove that I'm really there. 

Unfortunately I haven't got a Georgian ID yet and I don't have utility bills with my name since I was using Airbnb, but I have a bank account in Georgia which I've been using there for over 6 months. I sent a bank account statement for verification with transactions for last 6 months, but it was denied. Maybe someone could help me to know what are requirements to bank account statements for verification. 

I can add that I have a work contract with my company in Georgia (in Russian and Georgian languages), an extract from registry of entrepreneurs that I've been registered as an individual entrepreneur in Georgia (in English) and a decision to give me small business status in Georgia (in Georgian language). Maybe some of these documents may help? 

Also I saw that in my email: 
"We have reviewed your submission for location verification. We have denied the submission as you have claimed that you uploaded the image in error."

But I didn't claim it, maybe there was a mistake? 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths