🐈
» Forums » Support » Phone number already in use
Page options
a2710568
Community Member

Phone number already in use

My account is attcahed to another account but I cant seem to ifgure out what emai its attached to.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

If you need help verifying your phone number, it would be best if you reach our support team directly so they can assist you within a private and secure channel of communication. Please let us know on this thread if you need assistance with this issue and we'll be happy to help.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

123 REPLIES 123

How do you contact support directly? There are no instructions anywhere on how to do that. It is just an endless loop of chatbot, go to Community etc etc. I am getting the error Phone number already in use. Please, check it and try again. If you're still having problems, please contact support.  I tried emailing support from an old ticket and it bounced back. Help please. My account is useless until I can get my number verified.

Hi Myka,

I am sorry to hear about the trouble reaching our support. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
c3f91bd6
Community Member

Same issue here. I can't add my phone number and the support chat bot is unhelpful.

Hi Guillaume,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
anaptk
Community Member

I just added a Client profile to post a job, but can't verify my phone number. I am already registered as a freelancer and have an agency too, all of these 3 profiles (freelancer, agency, client) are combined under the same account.
I removed the said number from my agency profile, but the issue remains. I have no other number, and it's making my life difficult. Why can't Upwork link all accounts under the same profile?
1. Is it not allowed to have the same number as a freelancer and a client?
2. If you know any solutions, please let me know.Screenshot 2024-05-05 213927.png

Hi Ana,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
94768ea3
Community Member

I am getting a notification saying my number is tied to another account but I do not have another account. Need help. Will not let me move forward to apply to jobs

I keep trying to message the chat but the bot keeps sending me articles and everyone says I need to reach out to support. How do I do any of this? This is not user friendly at all. Fellow UXers please fix this. 

Hi Gerald,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
83a237cb
Community Member

Tell me where I can get help.  I went around and around with the stupid chat. Cannot find where to submit a ticket. I cannot apply for work until this is fixed.  Where do I go for actual help?

Es mami can hlp you

If you're seeing a message that your phone number is already in use on Upwork and you're unable to resolve it through the chat system, you'll need to contact customer support for further assistance. Here's what you can do to reach actual support:

1. Help Center: Go to Upwork's Help Center and look for articles related to your issue. At the end of these articles, there is often a contact link if your issue was not resolved.

2. Community Forums: Post your issue on the Upwork Community forums. Often, community moderators and other experienced freelancers can provide help or escalate the issue to someone who can help.

3. Social Media: Reach out to Upwork on their official social media channels like Twitter (@UpworkHelp). Companies often have social media teams that can provide support or direct you to the right place.

4. Direct Email or Form: Look for a direct email address or contact form for Upwork support. Depending on the design of the site at the time, they may have a contact form that bypasses the chatbot.

If the chat system isn't connecting you to a representative, ensure you communicate through your responses that you need human support. Sometimes certain keywords or phrases can trigger a transfer to a human agent.

NOTHING works!! This is the most horrible support created! I cannot verify my phone number because it says the number exists.  I've been trying for hours to find an email or get the chat to give me an article with NOTHING!! Get me the correct way to get assistance now

Hi Kasey,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you with further assistance in completing the phone verification process.

~ Arjay
Upwork
615d2de3
Community Member

Hi, I am also going round and round in circles with the chat bot, I have old accounts linked to my mobile numbers I can no longer access due to the emails + domains expiring. Can someone help me remove these old numbers? 

Hi Ali,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
cc21d3eb
Community Member

I am getting an issue when applying for freelancing jobs with a notification saying that my phone number is in use, when clearly, it's not. Can someone please help me solve this!! I can't get a hold of anyone. 

I get the same error message when I try to set my number for MFA.

Hi Titus,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
dad07b78
Community Member

I am unable to post my job because of this, I don't remember creating an account before but I'd like to close the old account if possible because I don't have access to it anymore.  I'd like to use my phone number on my new account

Hi John,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
3beafb66
Community Member

I'm running into the same issue when trying to create my profile. Could I get a support ticket for this?

721ce220
Community Member

I'm having a similar problem and I'm unable to create a support ticket.  My phone number is tied to two accounts.  Please help.

Hi Rachel and Daryl,

I've converted your posts to support tickets to give your concerns the attention they deserve. We'll have one of our support team members contact you with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
be79aee9
Community Member

When I hit apply to a job I am automatically asked to verify my phone number to be sent a 5 digit verification code. However when I hit both call or text, it says my phone number is already in use. Though my phone number has already been verified on the Upwork platform when I created the account.

Hi Kaitlyn,

~ Joanne
Upwork
0729ca92
Community Member

Hi, I am experiencing this issue.

When I tried to submit an application I got the following message: "Phone number already in use. Please, check it and try again. If you're still having problems, please contact support."

I appreciate if you could help me in this regard.

Thank you

Hi Maria, 

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
ab660a4f
Community Member

Hi Moderators, 
I am having a ton of issues here, and have posted comments/replies multiple times with no response. I keep seeing people who posted after me or in response to my question getting help, but I haven't heard from anyone. PLEASE can I get some support here as I am having the same issue regarding my phone number not working, and am missing out on some aweome job postings due to the issue. 
Really appreciate any help anyone can provide!

bab52ac8
Community Member

Hi ,

I'm facing a similar problem an erorr message comes up when i enter my phone number "Phone Number is already in use"

Can someone please help. Thanks

47e87499
Community Member

Hello! I created a new account but it says that my phone number is already in use. How do I disconnect it from a third-party account?

Hi Elina,

I noticed that you might have dual accounts on Upwork, and I just wanted to give you a heads-up that this is strictly against Upwork's terms of service. According to Upwork's rules, each person is only allowed to have one account. This helps maintain the integrity of the platform and ensures fair play for everyone.

If you accidentally created a second account or for some reason have multiple accounts, it's best to contact Upwork's support team right away. They can guide you through the process of resolving the issue. If you continue using multiple accounts, it could lead to serious consequences, like account suspension or a permanent ban.

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~013a82ae518b9bdc92
https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01d1f330d0812a0a22

I hope this helps, and I'm here if you have any other questions!

2b33aaee
Community Member

Hi, I bought a new domain and wished to connect my new email to my old upwork account. That was unsuccessful despite I had given up on the old email. SO now I created a new upwork account with my new email but my phone number is still associated with my old account, so I cannot verify that. Can someone help me solve both issues?

Hi Samuel,

~ Luiggi
Upwork
fe8532cf
Community Member

I have posted two prior times in this chat but still havent recieved a response. I am having the same issue as everyone else - I am trying to verify my phone number but the system is claiming that it is already in use. I have closed all other accounts I have. 

I understand my account is new, so maybe that is why I am not recieving a response while others are - please let me know how I can remedy this to recieve support.

I am in the exact same boat as you- I've commented multiple times, and people who comment after me get responses from Mods, and I haven't gotten a single response. So incredibly frustrating!! 

2fdd7db6
Community Member

Need help I don't have another account and if I made one dont know I for it need to certify phone but say message my number used by another account how can I certify so I can apply to jobs

Hi Danielle,

I see that you contacted our support team and raised a ticket about your phone verification concerns. I've submitted a follow-up to the team, and you will get an update on your ticket here once your case has been thoroughly reviewed.

~ Arjay
Upwork
c5ea04c9
Community Member

Hi- I am struggling to apply for jobs as I receive an error message stating my phone number is already in use. Will you please escalate this issue for me? I've tried to submit a ticket via email but received an auto bounce back email with the status solved. This issue is not solved. Please help?

I've been having this same issue, and can't get ahold of anyone to help. It's incredibly frustrating. Hoping a mod sees this post and responds to the both of us! 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths