🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Using chatgpt for cover letter? Does this eff...
Page options
ali_absar_k
Community Member

Using chatgpt for cover letter? Does this effective for getting response?

Hellow All Beautiful Freelancers. I am Ali here.

I have been working in upwork for almost 3 years now. But still I am trying to find about the algorithm of writting a perfect Cover letter which conversion ratio will be over 80%.

Right now after the AI revolution, I have been using Chatgpt for writing my cover letter,  I mean not generating rather chatgpt is assisting me for curating my cover letter.

But the conversion rate is not that kind of significant.

So, I really want to know from all top rated, top rated plus & all talented freelancers. What are your insight/experience talk on this?

Best Regards

Ali.

24 REPLIES 24
elisa_b
Community Member

"writting a perfect Cover letter which conversion ratio will be over 80%"

Forget about that, considering the current state of affairs of Upwork. Just take a look around the forum and you will see that clients hardly see proposals, even when they come from freelancers with 5 or 6-digit earnings.

One of the main reasons is that clients are being bombarded by spam. Countless, unqualified, self-proclaimed freelancers are infesting Upwork and scaring clients away, and guess what? Lots of them use ChatGPT.

If you believe in your capabilities, you don't need ChatGPT to write your proposals. The more you use it (bullet points, anyone?), the more your proposal will look boring and corny.

Thanks for the sound & expertised reply, Elisa.

But whats the problem with Chatgpt, It has got 3 trillion equal parameter & huge base of database, Much larger than a human based on a analytics.

& By chatgpt, I saw, The response made by the powerful gpt major time much more structurised, informative, fullfilled with all answers of the client & content are not ai generated but ai assisted i mean the thought & answer generated by the freelancer but curated by the gpt.

So, if there is beauty in gpt version with all framework. So,then whats the problem.

& You could write like human response also in the latest gpt.

I understand you are a writer, Your passion is writing from your brain.

But just a thought sharing with you.

Thanks Elisa.🙏.

Well, I received your DM and I am replying to you here (since I do not reply to private messages): in the Academy section there should be a course about proposals, I would suggest starting from that.

In general, you should let the client know you understand their needs and make clear how you are going to solve their issues or fulfil their needs. Don't talk about yourself, tailor your proposal around the client. There are no "secrets" to writing good proposals. Just imagine you are the client: what kind of proposal would you prefer to receive?

My problem with ChatGPT? Lots of people think it is a shortcut, a way to save time and effort. But the content it generates is dull and lacks humanity. I understand that writing in another language may not be easy, but make an effort to be creative and show clients something original and not created by a machine. You can use ChatGPT for brainstorming or gathering ideas, but that's it.

Clients are pissed off when they receive dozens of AI-generated proposals. They can spot them from miles away. 

But whats the problem with Chatgpt, It has got 3 trillion equal parameter & huge base of database, Much larger than a human based on a analytics.

There are a lot of issues that are in the courts and will be until the owners of the content used/stolen by Open AI are somehow informed and compensated for their work. Of course the LLM is huge, it's using the 'net, books, magazines, journals - and who know what, because the company refuses to say. In addition, many clients will throw away your proposal as soon as they see it. When ownership issues are in doubt, most clients do not want it in any shape or form.

The response made by the powerful gpt major time much more structurised, informative, fullfilled with all answers of the client & content are not ai generated but ai assisted i mean the thought & answer generated by the freelancer but curated by the gpt.

Only if you don't have those skills. And that's a huge problem, people using the chatbots to fake having the skills.

So, if there is beauty in gpt version with all framework. So,then whats the problem.

I see no beauty in any chatbot. The foundation is from other people, with no consent or compensation. There are legal and ownership issues. It does not create anything, it regurgitates what it has scraped up. The program makes errors in identifying people, dates, times, places, etc. Any work must be gone over, word by word, to make sure it is accurate. Also, the way most people use it, it's terrible writing that any native speaker will spot in two seconds.

I can't say all clients will act the same, but, if you paste your response above into ChatGPT to fix it, if it's me, for a conversation with a person, I'd prefer the original version. My English level is conversational but I can tell and don't like it when I read something that is "long-boring but empty".

I can tell the difference between ChatGPT posts, and text written by real native/fluent English speakers although both of them are grammatically correct. Unlike the ChatGPT, I can feel 'real intelligence' on the latter. So does on some grammatically messed-up posts but made by real people.

You say that you're not getting a good conversion rate with Chat GPT, so why would you want to continue doing something that's not working for you? That makes no sense.

luce-neidert
Community Member

Exactly, Saira, that's exactly what client's don't need: a cover letter written by a robot.

And why not?
Today's Upwork client is a robot. GPT is a robot. Let them communicate.
The problem is that the freelancer is paying for that communication.
Let's face it.

luce-neidert
Community Member

Alexander, I'm very lucky, my clients are human and they write without ChatGPT.

spectralua
Community Member

When I see a job generated by chatpt (and this is obvious, all texts are the same) then I will never apply there. Perhaps some clients do the same.

You're right.

luce-neidert
Community Member

Another point that really worries me about chat GPT is its water and energy consumption. Our planet is in great danger - or at least humanity is - and anything that worsens the situation needs to be avoided.

There's a lot to worry about if we're going to discuss that. How about microplastics found in food, blood, and fetuses? How can we avoid that? A whole new source for cancers, diseases, or maybe we'll evolve into blending with the plastics and become shinier? 😁

Humanity is doomed as most people are not smart enough to organise a huge change in their habits.

Humanity is doomed because most people gave up their brains to the machines. And they have the gut to say it's "da fUtUrE!" 😐 (probably because chatgpt told them that).

What I could see.In present era's There are 3 side's of people. 

1.The human Afraid about the Modern AI invention,Losing Job hypothesis & The competition of Human vs AI, They Like to Write on their own, The real Beauty.

2.Another pole, They are welcoming AI invention as a new production for new productivity, an true advancement for human to go beyond.

3.The last pole are - They are the liberal type,They Like the human creativity & also the Technolgical creativity. They always want more leverage throuout the entire human ecology whether it is human or any machine/technology.

Thanks.🙏.

b9c2bbf5
Community Member

As I know that Cover letter has a minimum value as the Jobs completed and Inprogress Jobs has a value.

elisa_b
Community Member

Minimum value? Think twice.

mahrukh001
Community Member

Hey Ali,

It's great to hear about your experience on Upwork and your dedication to perfecting your cover letter game. Trust me, you're not alone in the quest for that elusive 80% conversion rate.

Using ChatGPT for cover letter assistance is a smart move in this AI-driven era. However, as you've noticed, it's not a guaranteed ticket to success. Crafting the perfect cover letter is a blend of art and science, and even with AI help, it can be a bit of a puzzle.

So, let's dive in and crowdsource some wisdom! Top-rated freelancers, come forth and share your insights. What tips, tricks, or experiences can you offer to boost that conversion rate?

Looking forward to hearing from the community!

Best Regards,
Mahrukh

My advice? Don't use ChatGPT or any chatbot in the forum when it's so very easy to identify. I prefer genuine, individual thoughts, and English levels don't matter.

Mahrukh,

I would never dream of using ChatGPT to write for me. I enjoy writing too much to allow a machine to steal that pleasure from me. Even writing a cover letter is fun when you like writing. Please don't give our fellow freelancers the impression that their brain is not worth using, as it probably is.

Imagine that you were a client. Why would you trust a freelancer who doesn't even trust his capacities to write a simple letter? Letters and texts written by Chat GPT are like graveyards. Decorations might make them look all rigtht, but life is gone from them.

chatgpt and other tools are man invented.and these things provide ease to us to complete the tasks within time.

elisa_b
Community Member

...and they allow people to pretend they are writters and translaters.

tjmisny
Community Member

From my experience as an Upwork client, if I can tell a Freelancer used ChatGPT or other AI tools, I will delete their proposal.  Because I hire in the creative space, the cover letter is an opportunity to show your creativity - anyone who does not prioritize showing creativity in a job application is not worthy of hiring in my view.  

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members