🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Should I STAY or should I GO?!
Page options
bojan_krtolica
Community Member

Should I STAY or should I GO?!

Dear UpWork Community,

I'm writing this post because I need fair advice.
Generally, I'm trying to fix my problems on my own, but I'm finding myself in a position where I don't have any logical explanation regarding my situation.

For almost a year I've been confronting the fact that the working dynamic has radically reduced compared to the year before, or the year before that. It's very rare that I'm invited to an interview, even more rare that I get a project. On the other hand I have 100% JS, top rated with overall super satisfied clients along my 3 year career on this platform. I dedicate an important amount of time writing proposals, explaining in detail and trying to be very professional on every level. As UpWork was my principal source of income, I was investing myself in keeping everybody happy and pleased. 

All this advice from UpWork that I read, like : 1. Personalize your proposal. 2. Keep it concise 3.  Highlight your achievements..etc,  believe me, I've been there and I've been doing that from the DAY #1. I even try to "boost" my profile, I'm paying once a week for my "availability badge", I'm posting to new jobs constantly... but something stopped somewhere. 

So I'm finding myself in a position to make a decision, either I stay on the platform, or I move on towards another service. 

I just wanted to share my experience and talk about it transparently.
All your thoughts and advice are warmly welcome.  

Thanks a lot!
Bojan K. 
1 REPLY 1
grimesr
Community Member

If it were me, I would first ask myself some difficult questions.

1. What is my buisness plan (goals) that I have.

2. How important is making money in your life? Is this a "hobby" or my onely source of income?

3. How much time do I think about what is NOT happening here?

4. What would happen if I leave here? Plan B?

I don't think any of the freelancers can really answer the question you have raised. For me, #3 is the big question. How well do I sleep at night with the thoughts of Upwork in my head. I am sure my situation is totally different than yours.

You and you alone have to make the decision. Think about it, make your decision and don't look back. I wish you well in your thought process, it is not easy.

[a footnote] Don't listen to all the negative freelancers with there doom and gloom. That is there presepective. Use your own view.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members