🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scam Alert - Rotary Foundation for Art Contra...
Page options
aac98686
Community Member

Scam Alert - Rotary Foundation for Art Contract jobs

I was contacted by a Claudia McClure from the Rotary Foundation (supposedly) regarding an interview via Upwork. It was setup via Flock business messaging with supposed hiring manager Laura Wilson. I had the interview on Flock yesterday, and was given a job offer to sign.

It wasn't that suspect initially, as they just asked me to sign a job offer and we would resume orientation this morning at 10 am. Laura never appeared. Looking back on the correspondence, it was suspicious when I looked back at my emails was that Laura message me from two separate emails which I initially didn't catch, as they both showed on Gmail as being from "Rotary". Her two addresses were l**Edited for Community Guidelines**and **Edited for Community Guidelines**During my interview, a third party under the name John Crane was supposedly sitting in.

They did not ask for or get my banking numbers, ssn, or driver's license, but my address, phone, and name. I looked it up online to see if this was a scam, and an individual on Reddit had posted someone under a different name from the Rotary had supposedly presented a similar suspicious job offer for a Junior Animator.

I don't know if other people can view this, but this was the interview offer I received:

https://www.upwork.com/ab/proposals/1779684206533206016

Is there a way to flag fraudulent posts?? I attached an image of the fraudulent post.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

5 REPLIES 5
khushbu_gohil
Community Member

Ohh I seen this job post...but didn't applied. Thanks for sharing

69bf7a32
Community Member

To flag any job post, click on it. Over to the right of the job name, it should say this:

Screenshot 2024-04-17 143820.png

It will ask why the post is being flagged. You can type in the answer if you want to be specific, or if the multiple choice options do not fit your situation. I am sorry that this happened to you.

I personally find the "Not Sure" under "Hourly" very weird. That does not seem very professional. Good luck with this matter.

5e315f86
Community Member

Yeah I got message this morning about this job posting for creative 3D Design/Animation Expert by Jared Becker and was told to email Laura Wilson who is the supposed Hiring manager at Rotary Foundation. So when i emailed her the first reply was if I was ready to interview "right now" which i thought was even more suspicious. I tried looking up this company and couldn't find anything. I did not do the interview after finding your post, thanks for posting. 

f1b878be
Community Member

This is still going on, ya'll. Be careful. Call the Rotary Foundation (or any company you're supposedly interviewing with) through their legitimate contact page and ask if a hiring manager by that name works there...before you waste hours getting interviewed. They even had the nerve to chew down my fake payrate.

I'm not sure how this scam ends, but this is what my bank said about employment scams: they might send you a check on a Friday, because it won't bounce until Monday. And they'll ask you to cover the cost of your own equipment, which you think is fine, because they say they are going to reimburse you. And you'll never get any equipment, it's not a legitimate job, and you'll just be out whatever money you unknowingly sent them. Stuff like that.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members