🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I filled my Tax information but Upwork still ...
Page options
makirziad
Community Member

I filled my Tax information but Upwork still asks me to complete it

Hello, I am a freelancer on Upwork, specializing in Voice Over services.
I started working on the platform roughly 3-4 months ago.
Today, Upwork sent me a message asking me to complete my Tax information.
I did, I filled the entire form, but I still have the same message.
Did I do something wrong? Is it a bug?
If I can get a moderator to check my account, I'd be really grateful!
Thank you for your help!

11 REPLIES 11
mdbutnayem
Community Member

Hello Ziad,
You should talk to Upwork Support directly

ArjayM

Hi Ziad,

I took a closer look at your account and you're correct, I can also confirm that it's your Tax Information has been completed. Please note that completing these forms is required to prove you are not a U.S. citizen and do not need to pay U.S. income taxes. Without this proof, the IRS requires that we withhold 30% of your future earnings to pay for income taxes. 

As long as a new W-8BEN/W-8BEN-E form is filled out completely, we’re not required to withhold at this rate. You're all set! You should also have the option to Get Paid as long as you have an active and valid Payment Method.

~ Arjay
Upwork
d3a3e6b3
Community Member

Hi Arjay,

I am encountering the same problem as I am not a US resident neither am I a resident of any tax paying country,
Upwork will charge VAT fee on any invoices created. If you are registered for VAT in your country, you can enter a valid VAT ID here to be exempted from paying VAT. 
I completed all of the given forms and put legitimate info. Thank you!
-Adrians

Hi Adrians,

You have not provided a valid VAT ID, which is why you're seeing that notification. As explained in this article, the UAE requires Upwork to collect value-added tax, or VAT, and remit the tax to the government of the UAE if we do not have a valid VAT ID on file for you. VAT is a tax on goods or services, including our services to you, and remit means to send money for a payment. I'd recommend you consult a local tax authority if you need more information about your VAT ID.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
d8cc3fda
Community Member

Hi Arjay, Right now I am also encountering the same issue. On my tax information page, I can see that all of the things are marked as completed. But suddenly, it started showing this message "Action required: Please confirm your services on Upwork are being physically performed outside the United States in your tax information."
Can you help me with that, please?

Hi MD Mujahidul,

have requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
d8cc3fda
Community Member

Thank you Joanne. 

6f37c0f1
Community Member

email i receivedemail i receivedHi Luiggi, 

i have already updated my tax info and it shows completed in that three tax info section, but still i'm getting third time email to update my tax info, why? please help, is this something action i have to perform anymore,

last two times when i got the same email, i talked to upwork support and both times the upwork agents said, 
"I should ignore this email, My account is good to go, i don’t have to take any further action"

but still i'm getting this email, please can you help me? see attached please, my profile link : https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01cab22eb9a8f6842a

**Edited for community guidelines**

Hi Mohammad,

I have requested our team's assistance. One of our agents will assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
92c7af7e
Community Member

I have filled all the tqx information and showing me completed bit no e.mail receive from upwork and still message showing for tax information. please help and guide

Thanks.....!

Hi Mehtab,

I checked and can confirm that on your tax information page, you have already completed all that has been requested. Regarding the follow-up emails you received, please check if the team has noted any specific information you need to add.

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members