🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I am already a Taxpayer. I entered my VAT num...
Page options
rationalobserver
Community Member

I am already a Taxpayer. I entered my VAT number. Can I reclaim the VAT deduction?

Hello,

I provide services in Turkey and I earned 800 dollars from my last job. 80 dollars of this is the upwork service fee and 16 dollars is VAT. I want my $16 VAT back. Since I am already a taxpayer, I am filing this declaration. Do I have to pay VAT on every job I buy?

rationalobserver_0-1709918725574.png

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
15b8ab81
Community Member

In many countries, including Turkey, value-added tax (VAT) is typically applied to the sale of goods and services. The VAT rate and regulations can vary depending on the nature of the transaction and the parties involved.

In your case, if you're a freelancer providing services in Turkey, you may be required to charge VAT on your services if your annual revenue exceeds a certain threshold set by the tax authorities. Similarly, when you purchase services on platforms like Upwork, VAT may be applied to the service fee charged by Upwork.

Whether you can reclaim the VAT you paid on Upwork service fees depends on the specific tax laws and regulations in Turkey. Generally, if you're a registered taxpayer and the VAT you paid is eligible for input tax credit or refund, you may be able to claim it back through your VAT return or by filing a separate declaration.

It's advisable to consult with a tax professional or accountant in Turkey who can provide personalized advice based on your situation and help you navigate the VAT regulations and any available deductions or refunds.

Additionally, you may want to review Upwork's policies and guidelines regarding VAT to understand how it applies to your transactions on the platform.

I hope this information helps clarify your situation, but please consider seeking professional advice for specific guidance tailored to your circumstances.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dataextract
Community Member

If you have provided your VAT number in Upwork, then they will not deduct it. 

For more details check this page

15b8ab81
Community Member

In many countries, including Turkey, value-added tax (VAT) is typically applied to the sale of goods and services. The VAT rate and regulations can vary depending on the nature of the transaction and the parties involved.

In your case, if you're a freelancer providing services in Turkey, you may be required to charge VAT on your services if your annual revenue exceeds a certain threshold set by the tax authorities. Similarly, when you purchase services on platforms like Upwork, VAT may be applied to the service fee charged by Upwork.

Whether you can reclaim the VAT you paid on Upwork service fees depends on the specific tax laws and regulations in Turkey. Generally, if you're a registered taxpayer and the VAT you paid is eligible for input tax credit or refund, you may be able to claim it back through your VAT return or by filing a separate declaration.

It's advisable to consult with a tax professional or accountant in Turkey who can provide personalized advice based on your situation and help you navigate the VAT regulations and any available deductions or refunds.

Additionally, you may want to review Upwork's policies and guidelines regarding VAT to understand how it applies to your transactions on the platform.

I hope this information helps clarify your situation, but please consider seeking professional advice for specific guidance tailored to your circumstances.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members