🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Be aware of fraud
Page options
sharma-savita
Community Member

Be aware of fraud

Hi guys,

Most of the times my proposals are accepted by scammers. I got one from **Edited for Community Guidelines** from**Edited for Community Guidelines**.

They asked me to contact**Edited for Community Guidelines** on Telegram. I did and as per requirement I completed the work.  Offer was 20$ for one page and there were 75 pages to be typed. After that they were asking me to pay 80$ refundable amount to get the payment credited. 

I was so hurt that these people are fraud and I wasted my time and hardwork. 

Please be aware of such fraud. No one can oay such huge amount for the work that too for one  page. If you see big amount, please make sure to flag them. Conversation should happen in upwork only. If they ask you to message outside then its scam.

18 REPLIES 18
72576f2b
Community Member

Hello Ms Savita,

My name is Thiya and I'm afraid I also just got fraud. So this guy asked me to translate 30 pages in 3 days, which I did. And he gave me a link to some sort of a money transferring website called companytrustwallet.com . Well I only know the trustwallet. I never heard of companytrustwallet. So I got doubted. 

Hi Aditi,

Be careful... 

Before start a contract, don’t communicate outside Upwork. 

After starting the contract, you can contact outside Upwork, if needed. 

That's it. 

Noted. Thank you for the reminder.

8d96b0d7
Community Member

Hi Savita,

Be careful... 

Before start a contract, don’t communicate outside Upwork. 

After starting the contract, you can contact outside Upwork, if needed. 

That's it. 

Yeah and its really disheartening that its been 2 months I am still not getting good offer. I am really in bad financial condition. 

a1fc49ff
Community Member

Hello dear , 

Are you sure ?? He sent me last night the same yours 75 page name is " love and friendship " 

Mohamed amine Benembarek

The scammer's name is **Edited for Community Guidelines** !!!!

Mohamed amine Benembarek

You can't post names or other identifiers in the forum. Besides, scammers don't use their real names.

Yes ,

Is a scammer i did have a proof 

Thank you dear for your advise you're such kind .

Mohamed amine Benembarek

If a client wants you outside of Upwork, before an Upwork contract is in place, it is a scam.

Thank you so much for tha advise ... yes it is i spooked to him but never answer but i did not receive my work to him .

Mohamed amine Benembarek
ee4c1b3c
Community Member

Thank you, You just saved me. He asked to message in telegram. So got doubt and checked it online and found your message here.

Never do anything with a client outside of Upwork, until an Upwork contract is in place.

d0c4d724
Community Member

Hi, I found the similar job posted and possibly fraud.

The job was **Edited for Community Guidelines**.

I sent my proposal yesterday and received an email from the client asking me to contact the employee manager for further info.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Now the job itself is removed from Upwork. Very suspicious.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

If someone wants you outside of Upwork, for any reason, before an Upwork contract is in place is a scammer.

Why did you break the Terms of Service? Do you understand you can lose your account permanently for violating the rules? Use the Academy link at the top of the page and learn before you lose everything.

Also, you can't post accusing identifiers in the forum.

d0c4d724
Community Member

Thanks for your advice!

63c9d629
Community Member

Just happened to me as well.

I applied for a document review job and I was asked to contact someone called**Edited for Community Guidelines** on Telegram. He sent me a 75 pages long document about Love and whatever, 20 dollar-pages, deadline 2 days.

I figured it was a scam. Is there a way I can report it? This job is still available here on the Upwork website....

Hi Janka,

Thanks for being cautious and bringing this to our attention. I've forwarded your report to the team and the job has been removed from the platform for violating the Terms of Service. The Connects you used for this job have been returned, and you should see them by visiting your Connects History page.  

As a reminder, communicating outside of Upwork before a contract starts is a violation of the Terms of Service. A client suggesting taking communication outside of Upwork before a contract begins is a typical red flag. You may open yourself up to scams or fraud, and lose Upwork Payment Protection

Whenever you encounter these situations, please report them using the available flagging options so the team can investigate further. Please take some time to read through this article for more information on how you can stay safe on Upwork.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members