🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » I think i have been scammed , what to do now ...
Page options
11f2f23a
Community Member

I think i have been scammed , what to do now ?

Hi 

I was a selected for a job and it was called a copy paste job. Someone from Upwork contacted me, informing me I was hired for the job and that I should contact this manager **Edited for Community Guidelines** via Telegram. Then, this manager gave me copy-pasting assignments. I completed this assignment before the deadline. Then I contacted the payment company **Edited for Community Guidelines** and they demanded I pay 100 dollars for a Premium ID, which I did pay. Then they asked me to pay 230 dollars for a premium idea so that the payment of the assigment could be executed, the 100 dollars I payed would be reimbursed upon completion of the full assignment. 

I did not pay the 230 dollars because I feel this is a scam. How can I verify if this company is legit or a scam? And if it is a scam, is there any way to report them and get my money back? 

I am hoping to get help here, it is my first experience on Upwork.

Thank you in advance! 

2 REPLIES 2
774bd43c
Community Member

This is undoubtedly a scam!

Upwork requires all payments to be processed through their platform, and all aspects of the work should be conducted within their system to prevent such fraudulent activities.

NikolaS

Hi Iman, 

Unfortunately, it looks like you were not hired for this job. Please keep in mind that you shouldn't provide any work until your client sends you an offer and a contract is created under your My Jobs tab. Please note that any request for free work is not allowed on Upwork, and it is a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service.

A real client will never ask you to give them money to start working, cash a check for them, work for free, or provide your personal information. Report suspicious behavior

I encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

Additionally, I would recommend you check this help article and available learning paths in the Academy section to help you stay safe on Upwork. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths