🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Beware of SCAMMERS on Upwork
Page options
aa6c96b8
Community Member

Beware of SCAMMERS on Upwork

There are now alot of scammers on Upwork looking for poor people to scam.

I chatted for a job via telegram not knowing he was a scammer.

Go through the screenshots and see our chat together.

If you are new to Upwork, you just have to be very careful so you won't get scammed. Especially jobs that require you to chat out of the Upwork platform. Do not pay any money to anyone before giving you a job! It's a scam.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

42 REPLIES 42
tlsikes
Community Member

Any job description that gives contact information outside of Upwork is a scam. If you have contact with a potential client outside of Upwork before a contract is in place, you're violating Upwork's TOS.

Avoid jobs like this and you'll avoid most of the scams. 

I almost just got scammed by two posters, both of whom took the conversation to Skype. I should have known the first was too good to be true. Ugh! This site doesn't seem to be worth the trouble.

geez.  I was extremely excited just now to get my FIRST freelance gig... took me to Skype instantly and proposal I responded to is gone from Upwork... so, I guess I ALMOST got scammed?  I got all the way to the phase in the process where they are trying to onboard me and started asking for more info.  im a little sad

... ALOT sad.

Same! Just today. What's worse is I think once the job is closed, we can't even report it. The messages sent from them to me and me to them are also gone. So, I can't report those either. Why is THAT even allowed? 

Hi Amani,

In general, when the job is closed and you cannot find your conversation with them on the message center, that means they were already reviewed by our team and that action has already been taken on their account.

Nevertheless, we encourage you to still send us a flag should you see any suspicious user activity in the future.

~ AJ
Upwork

Thanks for responding to my community board messages.

Can you check if they are legit or scammers 

**Edited for community guidelines**

Hi Manikanth,

As a gentle reminder, please note that users cannot communicate off Upwork until a contract has been set up on your account (the client sent an offer, and you accepted it). It would also be best to visit these articles for more information on how you can keep in line with Upwork's Terms of Service when engaging on the website:
You may also want to read up on this Community article and these articles for more information about working safely through Upwork.
~ Joanne
Upwork

I have to say I agree, Mark. The sad thing is that I actually first signe don as a client back in 2020 an hired a freelancers for media and promotion for a book. She was great, but, like everything that becomes wildly popular, the platform seems to be flooded with intelligent people seeking work, and the jerks looking to take advantage of them. Real clients seem to choose among the "top rated" freelancers that Upwork is paid extra to promote. Sad times.

Hey mark

i faced similar thing today. They gave cheque to be deposited for the equipment. They said to touch base tomorrow morning. How did you respond to them 

allergywriter
Community Member

What I don't understand is why Upwork can't filter out these scam jobs with contact information included in the text of the job or the invite.

It's bad enough that they show up in people's job feeds, but even if you aren't looking for jobs you are inundated with these scam job invites.

If Upwork put 1/10th the effort in filtering out scam clients as they do scam freelancers this platform would be much improved

Cheryl K wrote:

What I don't understand is why Upwork can't filter out these scam jobs with contact information included in the text of the job or the invite.

It's bad enough that they show up in people's job feeds, but even if you aren't looking for jobs you are inundated with these scam job invites.

If Upwork put 1/10th the effort in filtering out scam clients as they do scam freelancers this platform would be much improved

@Cheryl K
Great questions. Someone mentioned the other day that since Upwork can scan forum messages for non-existent swear works to bleep out, they should be able to screen out the posts with outside contact information.

It's a bandaid solution, but I've put together some tips for using the Advanced Search feature to filter job searches. You can exclude a lot of the contact info terms (t.me, wa.me, the @ symbol, and others) from your search to get a list of search results that's a bit more manageable. It won't screen for all types of scams, but it will help to filter some of them.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Filtering-Scam-Posts-How-to-use-the-Upwork-Advanced-Se...

The feed is full of nothing but these scams today. I finally gave up on looking for jobs because there is nothing but the same scam through the entire feed. You would think Upwork would remove them. All they have to do is look at the job feed to know there is nothing but scams on there today.

I am going to check out the filtering post you posted. I am just irritated that Upwork constantly changes things to make the worker look guilty and do nothing about all these invalid posts. They could filter them out. Instead, they just want to count how many times I click my mouse or type on my keyboard when I am logged in. 

Hey Nancy,

I hope it helps. Post a reply on that thread if you have any questions.

" Someone mentioned the other day that since Upwork can scan forum messages for non-existent swear works to bleep out, they should be able to screen out the posts with outside contact information."

Yes, it was me that mentioned that.  It's trivial to censor messages that include things like t.me (Telegram) links.  Even if they try to obfuscate links (e.g. "go to t dot me"), a regular expression can catch those with ease.  Morever, if a scammer tries to send such links, it tells Upwork this person is breaking the ToS, so the message doesn't need to be sent, the job can be deleted, the connects returned to all proposals, and the so-called employer/hirer's account suspended.  All 100% automated. Not difficult to do. This would put off scammers since they're just wasting their time posting jobs when they can't redirect people off-platform.  Prevention is better than telling new people they "ought to do this" or "should do that".  IT security assumes the worst of people, and you always prevent if you can prevent.  UW absolutely can prevent these scams.  100%. I've posited reasons why they won't implement it, but for sure, they CAN implement it. 

Right!!??!!

I have seen the same job posted day after day, sometimes even multiple times a day! And I will flag the post to Upwork as a scam, which should mean that UP pulls the job. BUT, scammers can simply create a new account and run the same post!

I have learned to only look at jobs with verified payments. Look at WHEN they started with UP, it is often a new account.

AND, look at the time zone: if they say they are in AZ, for example, and you see the post at NOON, but the location time listed in the post says 2AM, that is also a good sign that they are scammers. 

ALSO, another HUGE red flag: Entry level positions that pay $20+/hr.

I have seen "perfect" dream-like jobs and they usually do not have a realistic pay scale or payment verified. This has been almost 100% consistent, meaning that they are NOT real jobs.

There has be a level of expectation that jobs being posted here have some kind of filtering process (yes, we know they don't, but new people don't know there's no filtering), and also if UW's ToS forbids clients directing freelancers off-platform pre-contract, don't allow them to do that. If they attempt to do that,  flag them automatically.  Scammers are perpetrating super-easy scams right now, because they are utterly unrestricted.  There are no technical/automated trip-wires in place. 

IT security assumes the worst of people.  There is no "should".  Imagine a site that lets you set ANY kind of password.  Doesn't need to be a strong password, could just be literally "12345".  Then someone's account gets hacked, and the website owner says "your fault! You should have set a strong password".  Err, no.  It's the website's fault for not enforcing strong passwords.  Trivial to do.  There is no "should" when there's a technical solution. 

EXACTLY-  AND WHEN YOU TRY TO GET SUPPORT THEY KEEP SENDING ME A LINK THAT JUST FREEZES MY SCREEN!!  SOOOOO OVER IT ALL

cbd547e3
Community Member

I found out the hard way. Got scammed by the first 2 freelancers I met on this site to the tune of $4000+... I don't think I will ever use this site again after this experience 

re: "I found out the hard way. Got scammed by the first 2 freelancers I met on this site to the tune of $4000+... I don't think I will ever use this site again after this experience"

I am very sorry that you experienced such a terrible turn of events.

Feel free to use this or another thread if you want to ask additional questions.

When used properly, the most money that any client can expect to lose is about $100.

Note that the types of mistakes a client would need to make in order to lose $4000 are not Upwork-specific mistakes. Those are mistakes that a client could make on essentially any platform. So it is good for any client, whether they are using Upwork or any other platform, to know the basics about how to hire freelancers online without getting scammed or losing money.

93fa3d63
Community Member

Is it a scam where they make you go through this interview process and then try to get your bank info and try to send you a check for $2,000?

Accepting payment outside Upwork is a serious violation of their Terms of Service and can get your account suspended.

Never provide any personal information. Real clients have all they need from your profile.

Real clients will never ask you to cash a check.

YES!!! NEVER give any bank information, SSN, addresss, etc.  This is a sure sign that someone is dishonest for NONE of that information is necessary. You get paid through the UP system, which already has your information.

It is possible that this could be a scam. Scammers often use fake job postings or interviews to trick people into providing their personal information, including bank account details, and then use that information to commit fraud or theft.

If you are suspicious of a job offer or interview process, it is important to be cautious and do your research before providing any personal information. You can search online for information about the company or the job posting, and you can also contact Upwork's customer support team to report any suspicious activity.

It is also a good idea to never give out your bank information to someone you do not trust, and to be wary of anyone who asks you to cash a check and then send them the money. This is a common tactic used by scammers, and it can lead to financial losses and other problems.

496ae7a6
Community Member

I saw it too. Just report it.

ffb982d0
Community Member

Thanks All, great topics of conversations.  I am new and I can spot a scammer from a mile away - its so obvious these days with the way things are today.  Not sure if this is the place for me.  Appreciate the information.  Would love to know of some success stories before I go...

f9031f81
Community Member

Thank you so much for sharing this important information and warning about scammers on Upwork. I'm sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with a scammer on Telegram, but I'm glad that you were able to recognize the scam and didn't fall victim to it.

It's crucial for everyone using Upwork, especially new users, to be vigilant and cautious when dealing with potential clients. As you pointed out, it's important to never pay any money before receiving a job offer, and to be wary of jobs that require communication outside of the Upwork platform.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and help others stay safe from scams on Upwork.

I encountered the same thing..communication through telegram. Later noticed
the post was removed. He asked me to sign a contract, the letterhead was
ingenta.Truly believe it is a scam.

Regards,
Thila
23e05f12
Community Member

Hi. I'm new to upwork. Applied for a job. Got a message to say I must contact them via telegram. 

So I contacted to see what it was about. 

So this is a scam? 

We not supposed to take work outside of Upwork. 

When I proposed this to the guy on telegram 

This is what he said to me: "Upwork doesn’t provide such service to us completely. The company and Upwork are having some disagreements due to constant removal and misplacing of our seasonal ads. understand what I explain to you? This has been an ongoing process due to the disagreement of both companies. This is what we are been using for a long time and a lot of Freestar have received their payments."

Also, the message on Upwork I received and the Job posted has already been removed. 

Please help me to understand all this. 

Hi Saffiya,

Please note that communicating outside Upwork prior to a contract starting is against our Terms of Service

The job post you were referring to has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client's account.

Please check out this post for tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

~ AJ
Upwork

Is it possible to get scam or hacked if the employer ask for your email and send you a link and when you download the file it will look like this but it cannot be open.

I will appreciate if anyone will reply.

thank you.

Hi Patrisha,

As confirmed by AJ above, sharing your email address or other contact information before the contract is made is considered a TOS violation. This is also to protect our users from possible scams, fraud, and security issues like the one flagged on your post.  

Please refer to the link shared on AJ's post for more tips on staying safe on Upwork and please use the flag option if you’d like to report a violation.

- Pradeep

Upwork
e016ef27
Community Member

Hello everybody,

I'm new here and I've already received 7 proposals about "Facebook Ads", and this isn't even highlighted on my resume/profile.  Ô.o
I was suspicious and reading this post now, I realize that they are probably all scams... right?

Thank you all.

That's why I came on here too. Just got one today from MR **Edited for Community Guidelines** about "**Edited for Community Guidelines**". Looks super spammy and was looking for verification. 

43aaa457
Community Member

I'm pretty new to Upwork and have yet to land an actual job. Upwork was recommended to me by a family member... but so far all it has been is scams and scammers. I feel like either this should be better regulated - or there should be a place where others can post/report the scams they encountered  and who they were from - so its easier for others to identify them quicker and (hopefully) move on to actual job listings. At this point, I'm almost done with even trying to use Upwork as a legit business. I'm posting this opinion hoping others agree and they make changes to better the system. 

b49f636a
Community Member

UpWork blamed me and further victimized me. DO NOT USE **Edited for Community Guidelines**! He is terrorizing me. I have a lawyer pursuing action against UpWork and this individual. SCAMMERS

Hi Anne,

We certainly understand your frustration, and I'm sorry to learn about this unpleasant and disappointing experience you had with a client. I've shared this with the appropriate team for further review to give your case the attention it deserves.

I can see that you've been coordinating with our support team and raised a ticket about your concerns. Kindly expect an update from the team on that ticket and your email once your case is thoroughly reviewed. We seek your patience and utmost understanding while sorting this out for you. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork
791d9c53
Community Member

Hai.. I'm new in this freelance things.. Just now I apply for a job, and I've got an email that ask me to chat via TELEGRAM. I contact him and he asked for my details, such as name, country.. I haven't respond yet.. Is this also categorize a scam?? 

Hi Siti,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please note that sharing contact info prior to a contract starting is against ToS and one of the most common scams is when the client wants to take your conversation to Telegram.

We highly suggest reviewing our ToS, reading these tips on how to avoid questionable jobs, and this post from our Community member, Wes, about top red flags for scams for you to keep yourself safe in the marketplace. Should you also encounter any suspicious user activity again in the future, please send us a flag so the dedicated team can review it and take action as soon as possible.

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths