🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » About Contacting a Client Outside of Upwork
Page options
viiexplorer
Community Member

About Contacting a Client Outside of Upwork

Hello!  I'm new to the Upwork world of freelancing and in need of a bit of advice from the experienced and veterans.

If a new client posts their web address, hasn't viewed any proposals (mine included, as I sent it very late), and looks as if they might not proceed with the writing project, am I allowed to contact them (via their website) once they cancel the project on Upwork?

I would inquire whether if they got a chance to look over the proposal. 

Since their work is very, very niche, and I'm familiar with the industry, I was wondering whether if freelancers are allowed to encourage clients back onto Upwork.

Would welcome any advice and feedback.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "About Contacting a Client Outside of Upwork"

It is FINE to communicate with an Upwork client outside of Upwork.

It is AGAINST UPWORK RULES to communicate with a PROSPECTIVE client outside of Upwork.

If you are talking with a prospective client (somebody who has not hired you yet), then all communication must take place within the Upwork platform.

AFTER you hae been officially hired, you may use any method you want to communicate with the client.

But keep in mind:

You are NEVER ALLOWED to Google or otherwise search for contact informatoin for a client and communicate with the client using direct contact information that he didn't provide you with. This rule is in effect even AFTER being hired. If a client GIVES you his email address to communicate with him, then you may email him. But if you SEARCH for the client's email address, you may NOT use that email address to communicate with him.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "About Contacting a Client Outside of Upwork"

It is FINE to communicate with an Upwork client outside of Upwork.

It is AGAINST UPWORK RULES to communicate with a PROSPECTIVE client outside of Upwork.

If you are talking with a prospective client (somebody who has not hired you yet), then all communication must take place within the Upwork platform.

AFTER you hae been officially hired, you may use any method you want to communicate with the client.

But keep in mind:

You are NEVER ALLOWED to Google or otherwise search for contact informatoin for a client and communicate with the client using direct contact information that he didn't provide you with. This rule is in effect even AFTER being hired. If a client GIVES you his email address to communicate with him, then you may email him. But if you SEARCH for the client's email address, you may NOT use that email address to communicate with him.

Absolutely right

Hello guys,

In my case is the first time I am accepted to do the job and my costumer sent me a link from the Telegram to contact a third person to explain about the job. How its work please? 

KR

Cláudia

Hi Claudia,

Taking the communication outside of Upwork before having a contract in place is considered a TOS violation. I checked the job post you were referring to and it appears that it's already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS.

Please check out this course for more tips on staying safe on Upwork and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

- Pradeep

Upwork

Hi, Pradeep. Can I ask a question about this? If we do all of our communicating about the project in Upwork but I share my calendly link and use Google meet to meet with a prospective contractor, is that considered a violation of the TOS?

Those jobs are virtually always scams. 

Hi Preston, I am a new employee at Upwork. and fortunately, I am talking to someone about the idea I sent him. Before we continue, he asks for my personal information and asks me to chat with him on Telegram. Can we conclude that this is not a safe one? I have not yet disclosed any personal information.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths