🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » probable scams**Edited** and **Edited**
Page options
tansever
Community Member

probable scams**Edited** and **Edited**

Hi,

I did some work for these so-called agencies. They wanted me to pay some tax before the payment, but I have rejected. They they did not pay me.

14 REPLIES 14
631a7e39
Community Member

They tried to cheat me too. Fortunately, I did not continue with the translation because when I asked for the details of the company and some proof that would guarantee my payment at the end of the translation, they told me just to trust them, so I preferred to stop everything.

rekasesh
Community Member

If they ask you to contact outside the platform before a contract, they are definitely a scam.

Here is "How to avoid Upwork scams" blog post  by Wes on the common and recurring scams here that has helped many from wasting their time, energy and connects. 

0e53308c
Community Member

Same problem happened to me

0510d82c
Community Member

I feel identified with you, they requested a payment of $80 and then they would pay me, I hope that through this community someone can do something and report these types of companies

Belén Ibáñez

Always ask for a contract in UpWork before start any job. Don't work outside the platform. As simple as that.

And never contact any so called "client" on Telegram, that's where scammers want your to go. Stay safe on Upwork.

967e4d59
Community Member

Hello,now the same thing is happening to me, I translated for a company that promised to pay me $1000, I delivered the translation and started to have problems with the payment because, as you say, they asked me for a tax before sending me my money, I started to investigate and they provided me with a website called **Edited for Community Guidelines**, where everything looks very reliable but I really don't know whether to make the payment they tell me or directly lose my money.

Please, give advises 

Hi Isabela,

I noticed you do not have a contract for the job you're referring to. Further, Communicating outside of Upwork before a contract starts is a violation of the Terms of Service. A client suggesting taking communication outside of Upwork before a contract begins is a typical red flag for possible scams. 

I checked the job you were referring to and can confirm that it has been taken down for violating the Terms of Service. I want to remind you that a real client will never ask you to give them money to start working, cash a check for them, work for free, or provide your personal information. Whenever you encounter these situations, please report them using the available flagging options so the team can investigate further. Please take some time to read through this article for more information on how you can stay safe on Upwork.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
10e50db2
Community Member

I recently received a proposal from the company Translatiings, and they sent me to Telegram, and they say they don't make payments through freelancing platforms, but through PAYEER and other means. They seem very trustworthy as they even have a website and email, but I'm suspicious of it being a scam.

If it violates Upwork's Terms of Service, it is a scam. Before submitting other proposals or accept invitations, please take a look at the Academy link at the top of this page and at the Terms of Service at the bottom of this page. Communicating outside Upwork before having a formal contract on your Upwork profile and making arrangements to be paid outside can lead to account suspension.

Same!

They are scammers. 

check this out:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ana_cuervo
Community Member

Sorry, but the reason there are so many scammers on UpWork is largely because of people who agree to work for them without a contract or outside the platform. I'm not sure if it's ignorance of how things work here, but it's the responsibility of any freelancer using the platform to know and follow the rules.

Yep. It is greed. Scammers promicing lot of money for nothing then freelancers dont care about rules. Scammers will be here a while it works.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members