🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Why does Upwork allow trash like this?
Page options
tjmisny
Community Member

Why does Upwork allow trash like this?

Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 8.10.29 PM.png

Look at this garbage... this person is offering to pay $10 per video which wouldn't even cover the cost of transportation/gas, and they are expecting "Expert Level" work.  They apparently have hired 7 people previously but have spent $0?  

And despite all obvious signs of this being a garbage level, sweatshop or modern slavery job, Upwork is charging 12 CONNECTS for the privlege to apply!

Why is trash like this even allowed - clients offering prison wages and asking for Expert Level work?  

I'm sick of trash like this cluttering my feed.  

5 REPLIES 5
fccfebe2
Community Member

Sad reality is people will do work for that kind of payments. I would probably report a client like that because hires with $0 spent sounds very suspicious.

tjmisny
Community Member

I already did report.   This project needs to take place in the US though - I highly doubt there are people who are going to different locations to make videos for $10 each!   Whoever does this will be losing money on gas alone.  It's so incredibly stupid and offensive that Upwork allows these posts to exist (so that they can collect $ on connects).  

sein_mac
Community Member

Hi Thomas,

Agreed. Not only is it fustrating, its a potential violation of Upworks TOS:

"Clients can’t engage in fraud related to payments, including by:

posting jobs with payment terms that are objectively unreasonable or disproportionate to the scope of services requested"

tjmisny
Community Member

I'm surprised this is actually in the TOS - this would mean that 60% or so of the jobs I see in my feed are in violation.... 

spectralua
Community Member

There are 2 reasons:

1. Upwork manipulates with advertising “we publish NN jobs every hour, we are a good site.” Dont matter that these are dummy works. The quantity is taken into AD.

2. Freelancers pay for it. I think that freelancers pay $10,000-$20,000 for each dummy lifetime. These are approximate figures and I don’t know how much it actually is. It may be $50,000 or $5,000. In any case, it is profitable. For example this scam i wrote about collecting 50+ proposals. It is posted hourly. Yep, some will be deleted and refunded, some wont. Lets calculate: an 10 "jobs" undeleted, 50 proposals, $10 each (with little boost) = $5000 daily. For nothing: Just start a bot who will post it each hour. No $10 videos or other idea required here.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members