🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scammer copies-pastes content from legit post...
Page options
58feaef8
Community Member

Scammer copies-pastes content from legit post verbatim.

Just came across a post and it gave me the chills. It looks exactly like the same job from a previous client but when I clicked on the post, I realized it is probably a scam. My old client has been at UW for a while and the payment is verified. Yet this account was created yesterday, payment not verified, and it has sent invitations to every freelancer who has applied, which is odd because it's not my old client's style. I have flagged this post, and want people to be aware of the possibility of all the copycats posts. Please be extra vigilant and careful. Stay safe. 

13 REPLIES 13
c_dornelles
Community Member

I've noticed something similar. The scammers are getting better at it -- and I'm sure one of the reasons is they feel emboldened by UW's failure to take even the simplest measures and relying only on freelancers to flag fake job posts.

Claudia D wrote:

I've noticed something similar. The scammers are getting better at it -- and I'm sure one of the reasons is they feel emboldened by UW's failure to take even the simplest measures and relying only on freelancers to flag fake job posts.

They have done little, it is true, and what they do is too slow. But if you follow the TOS, which basically prohibits communication outside of Upwork before you have a contract, no sending money or crypto or whatever, and a couple of other rules, the freelancer will be pretty much protected.
Problem, nothing seems to be read.

I just saw a job post like that and my flag is not even being accepted by Upwork.

This makes me think something else...

spaintranslator
Community Member

Same here... I am just going to block all users sending invitation with unverified payment acc.

Diana C wrote:

Same here... I am just going to block all users sending invitation with unverified payment acc.

If you're new, that might help, but just because a customer doesn't have verified payment doesn't mean it's a scam. Many scammers have verified payment.
You should read the thread on scams that is in the carousel on the top right, in addition to the TOS to feel safe when submitting a proposal.

This is true.  Not ALL "new"   unverified payment method clients are scams but these days, MOST are, and "new" freelancers are much safer steering clear of them.  Yes, some "verfieid payment" folks can be scammers, but new freelancers can avoid the BULK of the scammers by steering clear of "payment not verified" clients, especially if the client just joined Upwork within the last month.

richardcoda
Community Member

Not only that... they are copying/pasting jobs from legitimate sources, like LinkedIn, etc. I got a reply from such a job. Wanted to do a Skype interview. I fell for it because I thought I had done my due diligence and saw the job on LinkedIn. When they, stupidly, input a different job description during the interview I called them out. They got nasty and I terminated the "interview" and blocked them. Not worried since it was the first time I have used skype in years. Now I am on a mission as I have seen this much more frequently the past three weeks.

Please, fellow freelancers... if just ONE THING doesn't seem right, like time of day (in your country), skype, "telegram" (that's my favorite one recently), etc. Just say no and report it. AND, if you can check the contact name or company out if you receive a reply, please do it. LinkedIn is the best place to do that.

Richard C wrote:

Not only that... they are copying/pasting jobs from legitimate sources, like LinkedIn, etc. I got a reply from such a job. Wanted to do a Skype interview. I fell for it because I thought I had done my due diligence and saw the job on LinkedIn. When they, stupidly, input a different job description during the interview I called them out. They got nasty and I terminated the "interview" and blocked them. Not worried since it was the first time I have used skype in years. Now I am on a mission as I have seen this much more frequently the past three weeks.

Please, fellow freelancers... if just ONE THING doesn't seem right, like time of day (in your country), skype, "telegram" (that's my favorite one recently), etc. Just say no and report it. AND, if you can check the contact name or company out if you receive a reply, please do it. LinkedIn is the best place to do that.

Problem. You broke the rules by communicating outside of Upwork BEFORE you had a contract.
If freelancers didn't break ToS, maybe we'd get them to stop showing up thinking they've got a good feeder here.
You got away, although you put your account in danger, but many will fall for the scam.

Recommendation. Do not look for potential customers. Most scammers use the profiles, history and companies of others to appear legitimate.

ericaandrews
Community Member

That's very disturbing because it may damage the reputation of established/legit clients and scare freelancers away from their job posts.  So they are basically "cloning" legitimate job posts in the hopes that a freelancer accidently clicks on the 'scam' job instead of the real job?    Sickening.

Agreed. I used to apply to posts that showed no client history but have stopped because the responses I was getting from them were almost all scams. Never used to be like that. Yes, I may be losing out on some jobs but it's just not worth my time to even click on them anymore.

Agreed! I have been in Upwork for 40 days now and realising how bad things are over here. I believe that in the past things were better. It is quite difficult to find a legit job post!

roberty1y
Community Member

I've noticed that too, and it's inevitable. Scammers have realized that fake jobs can be recognized as such, so they've started lifting genuine posts and using them. This means that even experienced freelancers can't spot them and waste their time sending in proposals.

253c5f2c
Community Member

I just came across the same problem. I flagged as inappropriate, but everytime I go back to the job post, the flag link is still available to be clicked and my flag is not beng sent. To submit a proposal for this job one needs to pay 16 connects. 10 to 15 people submitted, using their connects in vain.

Upwork fellows, be aware of that!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members