🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scam
Page options
3527e615
Community Member

Scam

I was contacted from Upwork by an individual regarding a position for which I had applied.  She directed me to a link to answer some questions then was contacted by a second person for the job.

After a couple of things that sounded not copasetic I contacted the company.  The company is legit but the offer is not so now I am working my way backwards because someone is not legit - either Person A, Person B, or Upwork.

The company immediately recognized it, apprised me of the situation, and said they had been working with you to try to get it resolved.  I am interested to find out where the false element entered the situation and I have the names and the transcriptions of the communications with the two individuals and am making other contacts for best way to proceed with this scam.

1 REPLY 1
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

There's nothing to stop a scammer from using the name of a real company in order to appear legitimate, and as a new freelancer, you're going to be targetted by multiple scams. They're not going to get caught, either, despite whatever proof you think that you have - they would have used fake names, burner email addresses, even a fake location. Read the terms of service and follow them. This wouldn't have happened to you if you hadn't been breaking Upwork's rules yourself.

You're going to need to put a lot more effort into your profile, too, if you want to have even the tiniest chance of getting work here. Proofreading is one of the most competitive categories.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members