🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How can you improve your position in freelanc...
Page options
9a255384
Community Member

How can you improve your position in freelance listings and get to the top pages of search results f

Hi, community!

Perhaps some of you know how the ranking system works on UpWork? What can you do to increase your place in the list of other freelancers?

I'm online every day. My profile is filled with relevant information, I update it and keep it up to date. I regularly respond to jobs that interest me. I close completed projects and make sure to ask for feedback from the client. I regularly update my portfolio by filling it with new works. I have 100% Job Success, Top Rated and I have the Available now badge on, but all of this does not bring the results I expect.

At one point I got the effect I wanted. I had a lot of profile hits, a lot of job offers, but then my profile traffic plummeted, even though I kept doing the same things I've always done.

I can't figure out how this works..... At times it seems to me that this system is broken, or not set up correctly. My activities are not getting the results I want, even though I follow all the advice UpWork says.

Perhaps someone understands how this works?

Sometimes it seems to me that I shouldn't ask a client to close contracts that have been finalized, because freelancers who are on the first page mostly have 30+ active contracts open?

I would be glad to hear your thoughts and ideas on this.

Thanks!

17 REPLIES 17
celgins
Community Member

Profiles are not stationary in search results; profiles are moved up and down search results to allow everyone a chance to be seen by clients. Even if you are Expert-Vetted, Top-Rated Plus, or Top-Rated with a 100% JSS, your profile positioning will shift from time to time.  Also, hundreds (if not thousands) of freelancers are joining and leaving the marketplace every day, so search results are always in flux. This means fewer clients may be seeing your profile at random intervals which leads to fewer views and invites.

Some freelancers say boosting their profiles (the higher the amount, the better) generates more views, but other freelancers say profile boosting has not worked at all for them.

Here is what I think (based on a little research and things I've seen):

• Some new freelancers appear to rank prominently--much higher than established freelancers. This could be Upwork's approach to inspiring newbies by ensuring they get consistent views, jobs, etc.

• Greater emphasis placed on certain skill areas/niches. Upwork has made a huge push towards generative AI and I believe freelancer profiles offering AI/ML services are being promoted--not too blatantly, but a little. Some Enterprise clients have been requesting more freelancers with AI/ML skills in some categories (i.e., AI content writing, generative AI chatbot building, machine learning, etc.) and Upwork added several new AI skill categories last year.

• Algorithm adjustments over the last two years seem to focus on optimized profiles, which could affect search results for skill categories.

• One of the most interesting things I've seen over the past six months is that many Expert-Vetted and Top-Rated profiles that have enjoyed success over the years are simply being pushed further down search results--especially profiles not focused on the AI/ML skill areas I mentioned above.

We're all at the mercy of the almighty algorithms and there isn't too much we can do to consistently appear at the top.

9a255384
Community Member

Thanks for the reply. It's interesting to read what other users think.

But I don't quite agree.

There are certain things that push some thoughts, I wrote about them, but I'll repeat myself:

There are profiles that are at the top of the search results all the time. They may change their positions slightly over time, but they always remain in the "quick accessibility for the customer" zone. To put it simply, they always remain on the first page. The funny thing is that these accounts have 30+ active contracts, which to me completely contradicts the logic you wrote about. After all, if a freelancer has 46 active contracts at the moment, is he in dire need of a new job)? Also if you look at some profiles, you can realize that they are very far from ideal, and I sincerely do not understand why they can be on the first place for so long

I wrote that at some point I was able to significantly increase the visibility of my account and I began to see in the statistics on 40-60 views per day, and 4-8 invitations to work every day. To achieve this effect, I drastically redesigned my account including the hourly rate. This shows that we can influence the algorithms, we can boost our account, but the question is how to make it permanent? I continue to constantly monitor my profile and make regular changes: closing contracts, getting feedback, adding new work to my portfolio. But it doesn't have the same effect.....

Well, the very idea that these algorithms work somewhat "randomly" makes me feel a sense of injustice. For example, there is a freelancer who follows his profile, he devotes a lot of time to this work, tries to make it interesting to his client. And there is a freelancer who follows his profile to a lesser extent, he does not work much on it and does not care about being interesting for the client. Do you think it's fair that they should have equal chances to be at the top of the search list for clients? Or that a freelancer who pays less attention to detail will be visible to the client, and a freelancer who is constantly working on that aspect will not be visible to the client?

As I wrote above I'm pretty sure we can improve, and sometimes a lot. I've done it before. The question is how to make this effect permanent?

celgins
Community Member

There are profiles that are at the top of the search results all the time. They may change their positions slightly over time, but they always remain in the "quick accessibility for the customer" zone. To put it simply, they always remain on the first page.

I think the definition of phrases like “all the time” and “always on the first page” are the focus. Clients can perform searches using all kinds of keywords, key phrases, and Upwork-defined skill categories. I've seen profiles rank high for specific keywords for weeks or months, but I’ve never seen "always." I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but it really depends on what you mean by "always."

As Mykola and many others have suggested--spending more for boosting and badges might make a difference, but I've heard many freelancers say this doesn't work for them.

The funny thing is that these accounts have 30+ active contracts, which to me completely contradicts the logic you wrote about.

I didn’t mention the number of active contracts a profile might have. I did say that some new freelancers appear to rank prominently; however, this appears to be temporary.

After all, if a freelancer has 46 active contracts at the moment, is he in dire need of a new job)?

We don’t know all the factors considered by Upwork’s algorithms. The number of active contracts might not weigh as heavily as other factors like skill category, work history, JSS, etc. Besides, an active or “In progress” job doesn’t mean the freelancer is actively working on the job. Often, these are completed or paused jobs that haven’t been closed.

I wrote that at some point I was able to significantly increase the visibility of my account and I began to see in the statistics on 40-60 views per day, and 4-8 invitations to work every day. To achieve this effect, I drastically redesigned my account including the hourly rate. This shows that we can influence the algorithms, we can boost our account, but the question is how to make it permanent?

I understand, and I believe many freelancers can increase profile views by making useful changes. But I also think the algorithms adjust to these changes. Meaning, if you upskill--the algorithm likes it. If you fix spelling and grammatical errors--the algorithm likes it. If your skill categories and keywords are updated to create more congruency throughout your profile--the algorithm likes it. After a while though, I think the algorithm "settles" a profile because once it gives you credit for optimization (i.e., upskilling, better title, better summary, better portfolio, etc.), it allows you to mix and mingle among the other optimized profiles, but the boost is short-lived and not permanent because there are millions of optimized profiles.

An ill-advised strategy might be to "break" a profile every now and then--fix it--and see if the algorithm recognizes the shiny new features and moves the profile up a few pages. I wouldn’t recommend doing this.

Well, the very idea that these algorithms work somewhat "randomly" makes me feel a sense of injustice.

I’m just guessing, but the millions of qualified freelancers with $0 earnings probably feel the same sense of injustice.

For example, there is a freelancer who follows his profile, he devotes a lot of time to this work, tries to make it interesting to his client. And there is a freelancer who follows his profile to a lesser extent, he does not work much on it and does not care about being interesting for the client. Do you think it's fair that they should have equal chances to be at the top of the search list for clients?

This is the dilemma for many algorithms: how to present the best matches while giving everybody a chance to be seen. It's basically an unpleasant balance between quality and fairness, with fairness being: "Everybody gets a shot, not just the Expert-Vetted and Top-Rated folks, or those who put the most time into their profiles." As ridiculous as it might seem, I think this is Upwork’s stab at fairness. The unpleasantness enters the picture because the platform is overflowing with freelancers and there aren’t enough quality jobs available.

I’m quite certain the algorithms prefer quality profiles over low-quality ones, but only Upwork knows how they define "quality" and "inspiring." I’ve seen quality profiles of highly skilled freelancers who get no attention and can’t land jobs. Conversely, I’ve seen Expert-Vetted, 100% JSS, $750K earners with depressing profiles that are never updated or optimized.

The biggest issue is the ridiculous number of unqualified freelancers here--not necessarily the number of uninspired or mediocre profiles. And, I think there are too many unknowns with Upwork's algorithms; too many to have a clear view of why things are the way they are. When we add the occasional hiccups and errors, and the bugs inherent to all algorithms, the result is unpredictability with a hint of chaos sprinkled in.

Uhm ... Just a quick question to everyone here:

When did the price/fee become irrelevant in this "bidding" market?

I mean, we are bidding against each other, and the clients supposedly want to pay as little as possible, right? So presumably they would want to read the "cheapest" offer proposals first. Or am I missing something here? 

Some clients want quality, some cheap works. First clients is gone. Second almost gone. But noone will dig inside lot of spam proposal received, rich clients and greedy as well.

I wouldn't say that's quite right. I have many clients who understand the value of a good worker and are willing to pay good money to get quality work. For them price is a secondary issue, the main thing for them is quality.

Those looking for the lowest price are the most difficult customers. They don't pay much, but their demands are high. I try to avoid such customers

You are missing the fact that some clients don't want dirt cheap proposals, they want the best qualified freelancer.

9a255384
Community Member

I am trying to find things that significantly affect this algorithm. I shared my experience of how I managed to get into its "field of view", and in this discussion I expect to hear not just guesses how it can work, but practical experience that helped others. Not just guesses, but really working strategies that definitely work. It doesn't have to be something big, but at least some small things that are proven and definitely work

Profiles are rotated, and no one knows why they are on the first pages or not. No one is going to be on the first pages all the time. Clark gave you a detailed explanation of all the facts we know. No one has a formula or behavior that will feature them all the time.

wrote:

I am trying to find things that significantly affect this algorithm. I shared my experience of how I managed to get into its "field of view", and in this discussion I expect to hear not just guesses how it can work, but practical experience that helped others. Not just guesses, but really working strategies that definitely work. It doesn't have to be something big, but at least some small things that are proven and definitely work

Nobody here knows how things "definitely work", or knows how to stay at the top. At best, you'll hear  anecdotal evidence of something that might have worked for one person with their particular niche and skillset, but they have no way of knowing what will work for other people (if they possessed this secret, they could have sold it to others and gotten rich by now). You have no way of knowing whether your own strategies actually had any effect, either, or whether it was a coincidence (i.e. it was your turn to be rotated to the top of the search).

williamtcooper
Community Member

Mykhaylo,

Please write four compelling paragraphs for your Summary minus the emoticons and focus on the first sentence because that is what appears in Client search. Click the above Academy link for success tips.

I understand what you're saying, but that's not really what I'm trying to understand. Take a look at the thread above and you'll get the gist of it.

I understand, however giving you the real answer. The rest will not make any difference.

Thank you very much. I'm already using it

Actually your Profile is in the WRONG format to solve the goals you mentioned.

spectralua
Community Member

You must pay. Profile boosting, badges, other money wasting. It will increase results, a little. No other ways. Your "Toprated" and 100% dont matter anymore. It is cool but won't affect shown position results.

"Available now" badge you paid should help as well.

By the way, I've gone up one page since purchasing profile plus

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members