🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client Wants Loom Videos of My Work Process
Page options
3bc53a90
Community Member

Client Wants Loom Videos of My Work Process

This is the first time this has come up - a client wants me to make a Loom video (a real-time video recording of my work) of my process while I work including a commentary of what I am doing/thinking with each step.  Essentially, I am an accountant with a 4-year degree in accounting and 18 years of experience and reviewing the books of a business requires all that education and experience that I can't possibly summarize on a Loom video. It feels like what they want me to do is to teach them how to be an accountant.  Can anyone share thoughts on this?  Would you agree to do a loom video of your work in real time so that the client can understand your work process every step of the way?  

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Do what he asks. Describe in excruciating detail everything you do, using accounting jargon whenever possible. Make sure he knows that describing what you're doing takes longer than actually doing it, so his cost for this hourly project will be a bit higher than would otherwise be the case.

It'll be so boring and unintelligble for him he'll beg you not to send him any more after the first few. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
dataextract
Community Member

Is that the original scope of the project or the client has added it after awarding the task?

The Loom video request was not brought up until after the contract started.  The original contract was to clean up their bookkeeping.

Are you worried about what happens to the video afterwards or whose account/workspace it will belong to? I would check out the ToS.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Do what he asks. Describe in excruciating detail everything you do, using accounting jargon whenever possible. Make sure he knows that describing what you're doing takes longer than actually doing it, so his cost for this hourly project will be a bit higher than would otherwise be the case.

It'll be so boring and unintelligble for him he'll beg you not to send him any more after the first few. 

Will, you are a genius 😂

crart
Community Member

wrote:

Would you agree to do a loom video of your work in real time so that the client can understand your work process every step of the way?  

No. I didn't develop my skills overnight and no one gave them to me, it is hard work, and I'm not sharing my work process UNLESS it is:

- paid tutoring, like I used to write detailed tutorials/instructions for art magazines on different art techniques;

- contract says I am to deliver work-in-progress images;

- contract says I am to deliver work-in-progress images and provide written explanation;

- contract says I am to record my process;

- contract says I am to record my process and commentary;

As an artist, with established style and work ethics, I will not share my process with just about anyone because they "want to see". I can post short vids to my YT channel as it is popular among us, to share the process briefly, but anything that resembles teaching the client - or anyone, for that matter - how to do what I do the way I do it, requires appropriate agreement and fee. You don't ask a plumber how he does his work so you can do it yourself and not pay him, he wouldn't even share the knowledge in the first place.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members