🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » 18 CONNECTS ARE REQUIRED FOR $13  JOB WHAT A ...
Page options
nav_designer
Community Member

18 CONNECTS ARE REQUIRED FOR $13  JOB WHAT A JOKE

"It's a joke that 18 connects are required for a $13 job ...no filtration. This is misleading everyone,

freelancers who are interested in hourly jobs not fixed contracts should get the connects back.  or these types of jobs should be removed from platforms 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

14 REPLIES 14
the-right-writer
Community Member

Since Upwork doesn't have a problem with it, the freelancers need to do the right thing. Don't apply for a $13.00 job in the first place. If you have the skills, offering a discount is one thing, but working for pennies does no one any favors. No one should be applying for ridiculously cheap jobs. This is a worldwide platform, based in the U.S. using the U.S. dollar. No one should allow themselves to work for nothing based on where they are located. Yes, I understand money is relevant, but the majority of clients are from the U.S. and know they get what they pay for, so make them pay for your skills.

If the client states hourly, and then wants to use fixed price, tell them how you feel. If you want hourly, don't work for fixed price. If they insist, don't agree to the contract. If they try to change, you can cancel the contract. Contact Support about the client. While it may not do any good, Upwork needs to know how often this is happening and make a rule: no changing payment methods in the middle of the job.

The client's offering low fixed contract prices during interviews, while I applied for hourly jobs. I believe I should get back my connects in this situation.

Well, I have a question: Does Upwork return Connects from unsuccessful proposals?

I was looking for information but the truth is I couldn't find it in the Upwork Library

No, Upwork does not. The only time connects are returned is if Upwork decides it is a scam, or the client closes the job. There are some ideas floating around about getting connects for interviews, but that too, is a secret and very, very few ever see it.

Connects are an investment into potential jobs. You need money to run your business. If you don't find good jobs to apply for, then don't waste your connects.

celgins
Community Member

I think the bigger joke is the $13 job. Flagging it as inappropriate won't help because it's a valid job in the eyes of Upwork.

If freelancers stopped applying to such low-paying jobs, clients will eventually stop posting low-paying jobs.

williamtcooper
Community Member

Only apply for appropriate jobs and skip the rest.

I was fortunate enough to come across one employer who had mentioned the budget in the job post. However, most employers tend to hide the budget and only reveal it during the interview process, where they often offer a meagre and unfair compensation. Last year, I went through more than 78 interviews, but none of the employers were willing to pay a reasonable hourly rate. For instance, some would offer only $30 for creating a 10-minute video, which is not a fair compensation. Therefore, it should be possible to report such clients, and the connects used to apply for such jobs should be refunded.

I went through zero interviews last year, but instead, start with a Consultation.

That is a lot of interviews for no results. It's crucial to learn about vetting clients and jobs. Some clients are cheap and will always be cheap. Check the client's jobs and fees. Is there a pattern of paying little? If so, you know going in, there will be trouble. In your proposals, you can mention your fees in a polite manner, to reinforce the amount.

Upwork is well aware of cheap clients, and they will do nothing about it. If they returned connects to everyone that had this happen, they would be giving up income. More free connects for you, means more connects for everyone. The more connects on the platform, the harder it will be for you and everyone to find a job, and the clients will be even more inundated with proposals. More free connects hurts everyone, including the platform.

There has been a significant decline in hiring since the boosting system was launched. You cannot deny that this system is not helping freelancers. If you have more than 1000 connects, you cannot get hired. I TRIED  I easily got hired 4 to 5 times a month. Before this, I never worked with any cheap clients nor did I receive those pathetic invites. But in the last 2 years, I was forced to do everything because of the bad circumstances.

I think Upwork should refund CONNECTS from those clients who open hourly job but during interview they ask to work on cheap fixed budget. We are forced to work at a cheap price, and we have no option. Sometimes, we invest a lot of connects, and we are left with no other choice. My point is that in hourly jobs,

I have been on Upwork since 2013, and I have extensive experience of freelancing, just like you. I know what Upwork is doing with freelancers. They are earning a lot on fake job postings, and they don't care if the client is hiring or not. They are earning MORE THEN THEY EARNED FROM COMMISSION , but poor freelancers are surviving. We need to do something, or Upwork should listen to our issues and problems.

Criteria for Boosting:
- Only top-rated and certified freelancers can use the boosting system.
- the boosting system TIME for a tender. LIKE after ONE HOUR no one can boost 
- Job posting should not be free.
- Boosting system has its own dashboard, where freelancers can choose to target a specific area, county, keywords, client profile, or company information.
- The profiles of the boosted freelancers should be disclosed to analyze the competition before investing money.

The problem is too many unskilled and under-skilled freelancers throwing connects and boosting at any job. It's not required to get a job. I do not boost, and I have been hired. I rarely apply for jobs here, because most are scams or will never hire, or pay pennies.

Yes, the last two+ years on Upwork have changed everything, and it literally is not the same platform. That's why you don't depend on one source for income. If one method is bringing a poor ROI, then you should not use it. Upwork decided to eliminate every limit for the platform or the different freelancer categories and the tests for the platform and each skill. Why? They said it was "too difficult." That's because they wanted the entire world to be listed as quality freelancers.

I have previously stated that the clients should stay with how they establish a job. Clients sometimes don't know what is best for them, but the majority are intentional switches. This should be covered under the scam rules, where freelancers receive the connects back.

Since applying and boosting isn't working, you need to make a change. With your skills and history, there are options for you to earn. Limiting connects to top rated won't help that much, because it is easy to cheat and become top rated.  So, no, no one gets free connects for any reason. If it's a scam, then, of course, yes.

Of course, Upwork is making more from connects than from commission. Upwork, for unknown reasons, could never figure out how to make a profit, like the other jobs platforms do.  In the years Upwork has existed, 10 or so, they never managed to break out of the red. I'm sure the shareholders were getting concerned, but the funny thing is, after all of their monetization, shares are dropping.

Upwork latched on to connects, and they ain't letting go. After firing 15% of their staff, with the connect for everything plan, they finally squeaked out a bit of black ink. Everything you do now requires connects. Want to be seen in a search? Spend connects. Want clients to read your proposal? Spend connects. This one is especially deceptive, because if you win the top boosted spot, it means you are at the top, but the clients don't have to read your boosted proposal. Want clients to think you can work at the drop of a hat? Spend connects. Every single thing on Upwork is advertised as bringing in more interviews, clients, jobs, and money, if you use those connects.

The solution? Upwork is not going to change. And will continue to monetize the connects, to convince the unskilled if they just spend connects and more money, they, too, will make millions, into the future. I am honest with freelancers, and warn the new and inexperienced that this is a dangerous place, and they must learn to protect themselves. I also tell them to stop wasting connects, which means, often, that you don't apply and look elsewhere for real jobs.

Since Upwork does not listen, the freelancers need to use their power. However, after multiple attempts, it never works. The power lies in - don't apply for dirt cheap jobs because some "guru" tells you this is how you start your career. Don't apply for jobs you aren't qualified for and throw connects at it. Don't boost, unless you know you are the best at the job, and have the hard skills to back up the claim. Then, if you really want the job, boost, within reason. This never happens. You have seen the jobs. People apply for everything and throw connects, hoping it will be the spaghetti on the wall and something will stick. If freelancers agreed to stop applying for dirt cheap jobs, giving away work, and all the other horrible ideas "gurus" tell their followers, Upwork would have to figure out how to survive financially. Unfortunately, that will never happen, because freelancers listen to Upwork and the "gurus."

There is a LOT they do not reveil in the postings. Job details, dedlines, opricing, delivery specifications, and on-and-on!

If they cannot take time to list properly - I ignore them!

nav_designer
Community Member

look at this new case 🤣😂...

**Edited for community guidelines**

This is insane! And I have seen a lot of job like this here

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members