🐈
» Community » Community Blog » 5 Key Tips for Building Strong Client Relatio...
Page options
Mar 18, 2024
5 Key Tips for Building Strong Client Relationships as a Freelancer

5 Key Tips for Building Strong Client Relationships as a Freelancer

In the competitive world of freelancing, building and maintaining strong client relationships is paramount. We've gathered insights from experienced freelancers and communication experts on this topic, distilling their wisdom into five key tips. From being proactive with client needs to investing in a CRM for client management, discover the strategies that have led to project success for these professionals.

• Be Proactive with Client Needs
  • Foster Deep Client Relationships
  • Ensure Clear, Consistent Communication
  • Set Realistic Expectations
  • Invest in a CRM for Client Management

Be Proactive with Client Needs

Be proactive in every way possible. For example, I send samples when I introduce myself to potential clients because I know they're going to ask for them. I send follow-up messages on longer projects before the client has the chance to ask about the project status. 

Proactiveness saves the client some time and hassle, which helps me create a strong professional image. The more I can offload for them, the better our relationship becomes. This helps me become an extension of their business, not just a service provider.

Alli Hill, Founder and Director, Fleurish Freelance

Foster Deep Client Relationships

People hire people. As consultants, we must do great work—that's fundamental to building trust, referrals, and leadership. But most of my success has been born from deep relationships with my clients. I appreciate knowing about their ambitions, the work that's in their “highest and best use,” and how the project I'm working on fits into their whole life. 

A client once hired me to run a customer evidence program, operationalizing storytelling across his organization. In the meantime, he was eyeing a new role internally. Because I understood the organizational context of this project, I was able to step in to lead it as he stepped into a new stretch role for himself. It was a dual success—his career acceleration and a sustainable program outcome for the business.

Brea Starmer, CEO/Founder, Lions & Tigers

Ensure Clear, Consistent Communication

By setting expectations, providing regular updates, and actively listening to their needs, you build trust and stronger relationships. 

For instance, during a project, I gave the client open communication channels and addressed their concerns promptly, while proactively suggesting solutions. Being on top of their needs strengthened our rapport and ensured project success, leading to repeat business and referrals.

Kripesh Adwani, Founder, KripeshAdwani.com

Set Realistic Expectations

The classic phrase “under-promise and over-deliver” still rings true in 2024 and beyond. When it comes to building and maintaining strong client relationships as a freelancer, setting a cadence for updates is a must—particularly for longer-term projects. 

When working as part of a team with freelancers to rework Etsy's existing category pages for SEO ahead of last year's holiday season, setting weekly touchpoints with both the team and the client was crucial for maintaining client trust (and finishing on schedule).

Emma Sloan, Copywriter and Editor, The Wee Writer

Invest in a CRM for Client Management

Using a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system can transform how you manage client relationships. It allows for efficient tracking of communications, projects, and deadlines, enabling personalized and timely interactions. In my opinion, this investment in organization and efficiency significantly enhances client satisfaction and loyalty, making it easier to maintain strong, ongoing relationships.

Chad Sultana, Founder, ChadSultana.com

5 Comments