🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Problems of our time
Page options
5ee30004
Community Member

Problems of our time

What do you think is an importnant problem of our time?

44 REPLIES 44
87d5677d
Community Member

Dear Narek

The problem of being "In-capability of talking & explaining your's knowledge to others", rather than giving mis-guidence & flattering with others, has been always very Common in past & in the future times, even by using Modern Technology, which has to be Noticed & Acknowledged. 

This important problem didn't changed,

Modern Technology is far Ahead to reach still.

Hope Agreed.

Regards

I think everyone decides for himself how to develop what to read and what to do. Yes, of course , some people dont even think abouyt it, but if a person wans to remain as he is, then nothing saves him))).

Dear Narek

So was that the problem of our's time? 

Thanks for your's response.

Regards

Dear Romel 

I have not yet decided on this issue and thank you

Dear Narek

The topic you proposed "Problems of our's time" is much challenging & explanatory.

It applies Everybody.

Thanks

Dear Romel,

I agree with you and  thank you.

I love the idea that your greatest strength is also your greatest weakness. This applies to individuals and to groups. For example, we invented the gas-powered engine and it transformed life forever and ever. One of the greatest inventions of all time, allowing easy travel and mass production. And now it will kill us with global warming thati is impossible to stop.

The computer, as well. It is incredible. Allows for instant global communication. But it also provides addictive video games, movies, social media platforms all of which have the potention to isolate human beings, make them lazy, feed paranoia, and educate us in the worst ways possible, creating a society in which the lowest common denominator rules -- power and creativity imperiled. 

AI -- wow. That's the Holy Grail of  inventions. What a stunning accomplishment. Machines that can think, create, automate. And, wow, how destructive is that? You don't even have to explain how pernicious that is.

AI has the potential to kill creativity, rob hundreds of millions of their livelihood, and make horrible decisions that influence everyone on the planet. What kind of ironic disaster is lurking there? We won't even know what hit us -- in fact, we will be applauding our nemisis, like looking at a mushroom cloud and remarking how beautiful it is.

williamtcooper
Community Member

Narek,

Generative AI and ChatGPT will be massive job disrupters.

Dear William

This Chat GPT & other AI's aren't smart enough, till now, to take away Jobs. Although, this topic is fully useless & time passings, but still, some reminders,

those Modern Science needs much Intelligence, to be fed by Humans.

We are those Humans. 

We Lock & Unlock things.

Regards

Romel,

ChatGPT-4 is smarter than most people and is becoming self learning.

ChatGPT-5 which is estimated to come out in 18 months will contain most text, video, and audio that is available on the Internet and can think and solve very complex problems in seconds that could take people weeks or months. This will be a tool for people with Expert knowledge and many of the Entry and Intermediate white collar jobs will be gone - ONLY in a few years the job process begins in earnest.

William,

I am still thinking about this issue. It seems to me that artificial intelligence and gpt chat will become anothertool in the human hand.  Many experts argue that neural networks are more likely to lead to the creation of new jobs and increased work efficiency than to a decrease in the number of jobs. They will automate routine and monotonous operations, freeing up time and energy of employees for more creative work. In addition, the development and maintenance of neural networks will also create new jobs.

Narek,

If it takes 100 people to do a job today, but due to AI it now takes 20 people, that doesn't create jobs for the 80 people now unemployed. It's just 80 unemployed people. The changes will be so fast that there will not be enough time and retraining to reabsorb the 80 unemployed.

Dear William,

Of course, we all dont want this. We all depend on work((

Dear Narek

We all depend on work, that's true. 

We are working in machines, not in pen & papers. Even we want smarter machines to bid & survive.

So, its contradictory.

Thanks

Dear William

The time is changing from Early Men to Civilization. News Jobs are machine smarter than classical Govt. Jobs in some manual Administrations & Managements.

Even no 80 fellows will unemploy, until Learn smart.

Let's adapt with surroundings.

Thanks

Even if 100 million people lose their jobs within a short period of time? Not possible because the AI replaces those jobs.

I know I must seem like a lurker answering so late.  Learning to use the new technology will be necessary rather than fighting it.  

Laura,

I agree and too many of the freelancers would prefer to ignore what is ocurring.

I think already use and some are already out of work((

orangewedge
Community Member

Hypocrisy.

Any pressing issue you look into (inclusion, immigration, climate change, economy, human rights) is surrounded by a thick fog of pure hypocrisy that, more often than not, backfires spectacularly.
I'm not expressing any political view or taking any side here, as similar levels of hypocrisy are shown within all political fronts.

Of course this made me lose enthusiasm when it came to some causes I was thrilled to get behind.

Filippo,

I can understand why you might feel so frustrated. However, I disagree with your contention that any effort in these areas is hypocrisy. We must continue to fight for our ideals and not rest on our laurels, but at the same time be ready to critically analyze our actions and take the necessary measures to eliminate errors. Even if our efforts have had limited success, this should not deprive us of motivation for further efforts.

Dear Filippo

Everybody sometimes is a Hypocrite by nature.

Sometimes we Act & sometimes Real. 

Thanks

I'm aware.

That doesn't make it any better, though.

arooj78
Community Member

Excess of access, unorganized knowledge, & ever-shortening of attention span.

5ee30004
Community Member

Indeed, the modern world offers us a large amount of information and opportunities. However, I believe that proper time management and the ability to focus on what is important will help us avoid excess and organize our knowledge. There are many techniques that help focus and improve concentration, such as meditation, day planning, and prioritization. It is important not to be afraid of change and try to learn more about how to use our access to knowledge for the benefit of ourselves and others.

In my experience I found that reading helps attention span immensely, especially novels, which force you to retain and recall information (such as previous chapters or characters).

I have always been an eager consumer of cultural content, from films to music and written articles, however I complerely skipped reading novels.

Despite being in my 30s, I still started noticing my attention span shrinking because of the short-form-content platforms proliferation (such as Instagram or Youtube Shorts).

Since I began reading fiction, I noticed my attention span getting better, and I'm thilled to see what level it could reach a few years from now.

Frequent use of social media can have a harmful effect on a person. He may experience stress, spend a lot of time on the internet, ignore real life and real world relationships, and suffer from psychological problems such as low self-esteem and depression. In contrast, reading books can have a positive effect on a person, improving their ability to concentrate, memory and analysis, as well as improve their brain health in general.

yes you are correct trough reading our mind will be total ready for life because life is continiously  process that never stop and everyday we learn new things through reading , you know the reason we all went to school is THE TOTAL LIBERATION  OF OUR DIFFERENT MIND.  

bf97c28c
Community Member

Not enough salted hamburgers. 

I think salting hamburgers always at any time is not enough😀

spxpert
Community Member

too much of information and online contents.  Most of us forgot the art of focusing.  Too many attention theifs (aka devices) all around.

I agree.

I got scared when I started noticing this trend of having 2 videos play in the same frame in social media posts (usually some kind of informative content on top and gameplay from a random videogame or clips from a film at the bottom).

It's like people are unable to focus on anything for more than 30 seconds and we crave so much stimulation we need to see more videos at once, or perhaps listen to music while we play a podcast.

spxpert
Community Member

"The Social Network"...  it took away joy of living our own lives

I think the worst thing social media brought is an epidemic of envy, of which I'll admit I sometimes suffer from.

5ee30004
Community Member

I understand that sometimes you can feel that social networks take away part of our lives. However, I think they can also increase joy and connection between people. We use social media to support and connect with friends and family, and to get news and information about the world. But we must also be able to separate ourselves and enjoy the real world, without dependence on electronic devices. It is important to find a balance between social media users and our real life. Full of interactions and experiences, and Life can't be replaced by any number of likes or followers. Let's take into account every moment of our lives, as far as necessary, and realistically.

spxpert
Community Member

social media was invented for the purpose of connecting with families and friends.  However over the time it has evolved into a tool for showing off "how my life is better".   I can bet all the "likes" we get on social media are from the people who dislike us the most :D. 

We are meant to be social,  and when it comes to socialization,  nothing beats in person meetings.  The good old lunches and meetups

5ee30004
Community Member

I agree with you that social media can sometimes get too focused on showcasing success and the best moments in our lives. However, there are other aspects that make them useful and interesting tools for communicating and connecting with people, even if they are far away from us. In addition, face-to-face communication also has its advantages, and I think that ideally we should find a balance between communication in the real world and in the virtual space.

tikus
Community Member

5ee30004
Community Member

The main problems of modern society are the following:

1. Climate change and environmental crisis.
2. Social inequality.
3. Migration crisis.
4. Terrorism and extremism.
5. Digital security and privacy.
6. Health and pandemics.
7. Geopolitical conflicts.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths