🐈
» Forums » Clients » Scammed by freelancer and upwork won't show f...
Page options
0cddc984
Community Member

Scammed by freelancer and upwork won't show feedback

A few months ago, I hired a freelancer to undertake a coding project, paid on a weekly basis. After various excuses as to why code hadn't been delivered, it became clear that they were not working on the project and then started ignoring all communication and requests for a refund. Not a line of code was ever delivered. I wasn't aware that upwork provide no protection in this situation, and it's up to me to validate all work done within a week of billing. But so be it.

What is of concern to me, is that a couple of months ago I left appropriate feedback - which was 1 star with a factual account of the scam. Whilst I can see the feedback from my account, it only shows on their profile as 'no feedback given'. I reported this to Upwork via their support email, and received no response. On going through the freelancers feedback history, I now notice there's a series of these 'no feedback given', and a couple of negative reviews which were given, describing very similar situations to my experience. I expect some of those other 'no feedback given' are also people in the same boat as me who's reviews have been blocked.

I'm left thinking upwork is probably not a safe marketplace - is there a policy / reason why they would not be showing negative feedback on scammers? As a buyer, I now don't feel like I can trust any profile I see, knowing that negative reviews seem to being filtered. Is this other people's experience?

5 REPLIES 5
spectralua
Community Member

No way to hide your feedback.

Toprated able to remove that but will be shown "feedback removed".

Also you need to set feedback within 2 weeks or it is wont affect JSS.

Should be some site bug.

williamtcooper
Community Member

If it can't be worked out with the freelancer, file a dispute.

They have a ridiculously short 5 day period to file a dispute after the end of a billing period. Then apparently, you're on your own.

Always ask the freelancer to resubmit the work to try to work things out, otherwise file a dispute at that time.

08bdf164
Community Member

I'm truly sorry for the ordeal you've faced with the freelancer. It's frustrating when promises aren't kept, leaving you feeling let down. The lack of transparency in feedback is indeed concerning, and it's natural to feel hesitant moving forward. Trust is crucial in any marketplace, and it's disheartening when it feels compromised. Your experience underscores the need for platforms to prioritize accountability and transparency.

However! I haven't get any job ever since I joined upwork, I'm a virtual assistant, data entry expert and customer service representative, I'm an expert in what I do and my clients satisfaction is my priority, i will appreciate if there is any way you could be of help to get my first job thanks.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths