🐈
» Forums » Clients » I believe I am being scammed - Lots of Eviden...
Page options
04d920cd
Community Member

I believe I am being scammed - Lots of Evidence

Good morning!

I recently hired a freelancer to create a Shopify app for me, they had positive reviews on their profile and were confident they could do the work. We moved our chat to whatsapp and agreed on a max amount of hours. The problem is, the upwork screenshots from the timesheet are just alt tabs with the cursor and mouse moving (image 1), and perfectly making a chessboard in alt-tabs. The second issue, is that I realised that of the 18 reviews they have, 16 were written by the same person within 2 weeks total, all for tiny jobs for $15-$20. The only other review is a 1 star review (image 2) that says they also had the same alt-tabbing, and were given a UI video that was basic, but the developer had "code problems". My job is code intense, and have had barely code given, and have been charged nearly $1000 for this alt-tabbing, I have been sent the basic UI video too, but it has absolutely 0 functionality after 40 logged hours. How do I go about disputing this, and working with Upwork to not get scammed by this freelancer with fake reviews. (Image 3 for fake reviews).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, 50 hours exact have been logged, totalling $800 USD ($1000+ AUD).

This is the video she provided for the basic UI:**Edited for Community Guidelines**

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

(Image 1 - This is too perfect for screen changing)

(Image 2 - Real review)

(Image 3 - Fake Reviews from only 1 client)

4 REPLIES 4
luqman_mak
Community Member

Dispute thinking hurts clients.

Effective clients save time and money by proactively planning to never ask freelancers for money. Never dispute. Never ask for a refund. No matter what.

Fire underperforming freelancers. Continue working with productive freelancers. Simple.

Do NOT let a freelancer work for 50 hours and then decide you don't like their work and then try to get your money back.

Upwork does not want you to get your money back.

In MOST CASES, clients WILL NOT get their money back.

So what to do instead?

Evaluate the freelancer's work after ONE hour.

Or after TWO hours.
If you love the work that they're doing, continue to let them work.

If you don't love their work, fire them.

prestonhunter
Community Member

That is NOT how this works.

Nobody cares about your evidence.

You don't need to make a case or convince anyone of anything.

If you don't love a freelancer's work, you can fire them.

At any time.

Upwork does not employ people to look at your project and determine if you were "wronged."

Just fire the freelancer. Work with other people.

06c8d58a
Community Member

I were lured into investing €17 000 by someone who calls himself **Edited for Community Guidelines** and claims to work for**Edited for Community Guidelines**. To another client he goes by **Edited for Community Guidelines** and works for **Edited for Community Guidelines**. The investment went oh, so well. The profit was absolutely marvelous! Once the arbitrage trading was done, which took a few days, the situation came to a halt. A 12% tax needed to be paid before the money could be released, it was said. This was news to us. You pay taxes after a profit, not before. The police is now investigating the illicit transfer, but the guy still keeps calling. We are not paying another dime.
The grooming goes on for weeks. These people are seriously good at what they do. But luckily for me I came across an agent named **Edited for Community Guidelines** he is a recovery agent and also work with the (FBI) he helped and guide me through getting back my lost funds and my bonus ,if you are having same I will advise you to contact him through this via email: **Edited for Community Guidelines** he will guide your through the process.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths