🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Freelancer Question
Page options
a7d5a10f
Community Member

Freelancer Question

Hello! 

I'm new here and got my first job recently. It’s a reviewing job. They hired me, I accepted the offer and we've been chatting via Upwork. Now, the client has sent me a third-party site to receive work, sent a third-party hours tracking site (to use in tandem with Upwork’s clock), and sent me a Gmail account to log into. Is all this legit or should I be worried?

Also, the client is still communicating through Upwork and still wants me to bill through Upwork.

Thanks for the help!

~Trish

4 REPLIES 4
fccfebe2
Community Member

Hi Trishia. As long as the communication and payment is done through Upwork you should be fine.

wrote:

Hi Trishia. As long as the communication and payment is done through Upwork you should be fine.

Not true. There are some jobs - like academic fraud or paid reviews - that are against the terms of service, so she's doing the right thing by asking about this. If you participate in fraud, you won't qualify for payment protection and your account could get banned.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

What sort of reviewing job is this? Most paid reviews are against Upwork's terms of service. If the work itself is legit, did you ask the client to fully explain why all these steps are necessary? Are you being asked to log into any accounts under a different name? What third party site is it - is it another freelancing site?

It's manuscript review, as in pre-publishing critique on clarity of a manuscript. They didn't instruct me to use a fake name or anything. It looks legit, I guess. I’m just new to this whole thing and wanted to be sure.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths