🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » What if I don't qualify for Tax?
Page options
greg-seebregts
Community Member

What if I don't qualify for Tax?

Hey everyone

So, I've been trying to figure out what to do about my tax info for ages now and have had no luck. I've read FAQs, Tax Reqs, and pretty much everything on Upwork that I can find, but it hasn't helped much. As I understand it, In South Africa, there's a certain pay threshold that you have to hit consistently to qualify for tax payments - around 200k according to the South African Revenue Service

My earnings fall below that threshold, so I don't qualify for tax and don't have a Tax ID number or a VAT number. The problem is that those things are needed in order for me to be able to withdraw earnings. Any feedback/assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
759e32fa

Hi Greg,

We understand you may have Tax laws in your country where you don't need to pay taxes until reaching a certain threshold. However, Upwork mainly requires your tax information in order to confirm if you are a U.S. or non-U.S. taxpayer and whether or not Upwork is required to withhold taxes from your earnings. Otherwise, you will be subject to U.S. taxes.

We suggest checking with a local tax advisor so they can properly inform you on how you can get the required tax documents.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi

I'm also from South Africa and  I am facing the exact same issue.

fa5f6411
Community Member

Hello, my question is, if I will be subject to U.S. taxes will I still receive the amount of money minus the 30% of US Tax?or will you withhold it?

Hi Georgia,

You will not be able to withdraw your earnings from Upwork until you complete the form. Also, if you do not complete the required form, we will be required to withhold up to 30% of your future earnings on Upwork and send them to the IRS. We will not be able to provide refunds on the withheld funds submitted to the IRS, even if the forms are later completed. You can find more information here

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members