🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork Trust and safety
Page options
Community Member

Upwork Trust and safety

Dear All , 

I am fairly new to Upwork,  This was my first dispute and I have no idea  about the process of disputes ....I want to understand the process - one of my clients disputed the payment , even after me submitting the entire work - I disputed back , He left a feedback about me an I left a feedback about him. 

I was 4.9 rating , JSS 96 % , prior to the dispute and because of this dispute , I lost JSS by 5% and star rating  and earnings of 422$

Recently I received an email from UPWORK trust & safety team , that they are investigating the matter on my feedback for the client ,asking for evidence to substantiate my feedback on Client?

I want to understand ,  Is this the process , as I am new I have no idea of the process, and as next time I will be careful, not to dispute or give my honest feedback

many thanks for helping me understand 

8 REPLIES 8
wlyonsatl
Community Member

If you left honest, accurate and professional feedback for a client, just tell Upwork the facts of your engagement experience with the client. 

Upwork uses a double-blind rating process, which means you can't see your client's feedback until you leave feedback for the client or the 14-day period for leaving feedback is over. And vice versa.

Upwork says it does this in order to get honest feedback from both freelancer and client. As a freelancer, I need to be able to rely on other freelancers' feedback on a potential client because Upwork provides little information about clients' history on Upwork (such as disputes, job cancellations, etc.). We freelancers have to tell each other about what a particular client is like to work with.

Community Member

I left an honest feedback , that the Client faces challenges with previous lawyer and now he refunded my work too . But Upwork team asked me substantiate what makes you say " simmilar issues " with other lawyers . I also informed upwork team that in his conversation and his chats indicates that he has a pattern of bad expereinces with lawyers ....

So UPwork team is yet to respond in the action ,- I am new to Upwork ,lost earning , JSS etc also 

Is this the process, I am very surprised 

wlyonsatl
Community Member

I have had one or two clients complain to Upwork about my feedback. I felt my feedback was accurate and didn't agree to change it.

That was that. Upwork may have subsequently removed my feedback, but I have no reason to believe they did. And I never gave the matter any more thought.

Thank You Mr Will , 

What do you think Upwork would take an action as

1) ask me to change my feedback for the client 

2) delete my feedback for the client

3 ) restrict my ability to take new projects ( as before this investigation , Upwork also sent me an email , that negative feedback  for me should not be case next time onwards in future ........)

Out of 27 Jobs / this was my one and ony one negative feddback and dispute 

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Ritika H.,

Upwork is a purposely opaque service in some areas. Feedback is one of those areas.

In my very limited experience, Upwork might ask you to reconsider your feedback and change it if it's not accurate or if you could be less critical of the client. As far as I know, they will not try to force you to make a change if you think your feedback was accurate and reflected your experience with the client.

I suppose Upwork might delete or hide your feedback, but Upwork says it will omit a client's feedback from a freelancer's JSS calculation if the client has "a history of poor collaboration."  - How would Upwork know this if the client's freelancers all leave unjustifiably positive feedback for such a client?

I have never seen any indication Upwork imposes any limits on a freelancer's ability to take on new projects based on the freelancer's bad experience with and negative feedback for one client. An ongoing such difficulty may be a different matter, but you can bet Upwork won't ask clients to reconsider their less-than-stellar feedback for freelancers - no matter their collaboration history.

williamtcooper
Community Member

Tell the truth and stick to the facts with screenshares and messages if possible.

Community Member

Thank You All for helping me to understand ! Really Appreciate ! God Bless you All

d63cdc7a
Community Member

Dear All , Upwork temp Suspended my account , stating reasons I breached confidentiality of client's,beacuse I mentioned "  "simillar issues with previous lawyer" in my feedback ...... I am not aware of  what was confidential about this info as it was already there on his own public feedback and he told me the same too , but I beleive if the TOS says it is confidential , then I must be wrong,   I would like to understand , how to resolve this and have my account reactive .

I am stumped , never faced a situation like this ever 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members