🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Unpaid Hourly Contract for Almost 3 Weeks
Page options
vanehtriunfo
Community Member

Unpaid Hourly Contract for Almost 3 Weeks

Hello,

I hope someone can help me sort this problem out.

Work Week Duration: February 19 to 25, 2024
Clearing of Earnings: March 1, 2024 (5 days hold because I’m a top rated freelancer)

Result: The payment did not go through and CS said that it’s possible that Upwork was not able to charge the client, so the clearing of earnings was moved to March 6, 2024

March 6, 2024: Payment Protection was triggered because Upwork claims they were unable to charge the client. I did not get the full payment from the Payment protection.

• I asked the client to fix his payment method so that I can get paid on time. He said the payment method is updated and sent me a bonus for the incomplete Payment protection given to me by Upwork. It is pending, I don't know if it's even real at this point. I do see he sent a bonus but it only says pending so I also don't know if that will go through.

March 7, 2024: Client gave me a bonus currently I pending status.

March 7, 2024: The contract is still active. I have experienced contract suspension from clients due to non payment so I don’t know why our contracts is still active. Client is expecting me to work because as far as he is concerned, his payment method is updated.

For work cycle - Feb 26 to march 3, 2024

The support team wants me to wait until Wednesday next week (March 13) if I will get paid. They can’t divulge if the client’s payment method is active and good to be charged for the next billing cycle. I find this unfair. I can’t tell the client I won’t work because like I said he doesn’t see any problem with our contract at this point.

If his payment won’t clear on March 13th, I will be subjected to payment protection once again? When will this stop?

They won’t suspend the contract as per CS because they don’t have the capability to.

What do I need to do?

4 REPLIES 4
PradeepH

Hi Vanessa,

I am sorry to hear about your experience with this client. I see that you have already responded to the support ticket to share your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Please don't hesitate to follow up with them on the same support ticket if you have additional questions. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

- Pradeep

Upwork

Hello Pradeep,

The support team keeps telling me to wait for the past 6 days.

Is there a limit to the Payment Protection because from what it looks like, I will be subjected once again to payment protection on March 13th.

Client said his payment has been posted and is expecting me to deliver work but how can I do that when Upwork can not tell me what my options are. I can't show anything to the client proving that his payment method is declining because he claims the payment has been 'posted.' 

The bonus sent to me yesterday, as verified by the support team has a problem.

I'm at a loss for words. I am not getting any real support. I have been on this platform for over a decade and this is the first time I have experienced this.

Can the support team create a ticket with the client in it and facilitate a mediation? Please help.

lysis10
Community Member

Tracker is the best way to identify if the client fixed the payment method. If the contract isn't there, then it's not fixed. It might take some time for it to show up, and you don't always get an email that the contract is active again. I've seen it take several hours (waited until the next day last week) before it shows up in Tracker.

He said he sent you a bonus, which would indicate that he fixed the problem. If the contract shows up in Tracker again, you're fine. Otherwise, he just needs to wait. He waited to fix the problem until you had to rely on payment protection, so he gets to wait now until the contract shows up in Tracker. He had a week to fix it and chose to let it slip. At most he will have to wait an extra day. It should be in your Tracker by the next day.

eta: you are smart to hold onto the work until you see the money. Most freelancers are not smart and would hand over the work and cry about trust and whatever. Holding onto it is the only way to give yourself leverage to get paid so keep on doing what you're doing.

vanehtriunfo
Community Member

Hi Jennifer,

The situation is tricky because I have another contract wherein the payment also failed during the same work week. This other contract got immediately paused/suspended. The one one remains active.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members