🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Unethical proposal
Page options
alejoesposito
Community Member

Unethical proposal

Hi Upwork Community! 🙂

I am a visual designer. I was recently contacted by a potential client who has a micropigmentation center.
The request is to modify photos that he has taken to simulate a "before and after" (he would provide me with the before images and I would have to retouch them)
His goal is to publish these images on his website/networks to promote his services.

I feel that at the very least it is unethical and can be considered false advertising.

I would like to know the opinion of the community and how to proceed in these cases.

Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
duyos
Community Member

Hello Alejo,

If you don't feel comfortable doing that task, just say no -do it politely, use an excuse, don't explain yourself at all; it really won't make any difference, just don't do something you don't want to do and move on.

If, in your opinion, you feel he's being unethical and breaking any of the Upwork's Terms and Conditions, go ahead and report it, someone will surely review it and take action. After all, it's not the opinion of a bunch of freelancers what matters here, it's about the T&C of the platform. As freelancers, we can choose whether or not to take a project. That aside, report it and let Upwork decide about the job post. Don't sweat it, it's pretty common!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
duyos
Community Member

Hello Alejo,

If you don't feel comfortable doing that task, just say no -do it politely, use an excuse, don't explain yourself at all; it really won't make any difference, just don't do something you don't want to do and move on.

If, in your opinion, you feel he's being unethical and breaking any of the Upwork's Terms and Conditions, go ahead and report it, someone will surely review it and take action. After all, it's not the opinion of a bunch of freelancers what matters here, it's about the T&C of the platform. As freelancers, we can choose whether or not to take a project. That aside, report it and let Upwork decide about the job post. Don't sweat it, it's pretty common!

fccfebe2
Community Member

Hi Alejo, it's hard to decide on this, it is unethical for sure, so it really depends on your personal beliefs and how you feel about it. Someone is definitely going to do it and get paid for it.

Hi Milos, I will definitely reject the offer and report. Thank you!

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

It's absolutely unethical and definitely false advertising, I wouldn't do it.

Hi Christine! Glad to know we're on the same page. Thank you!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members