🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is it a scam?
Page options
1b4292af
Community Member

Is it a scam?

I recently completed a project. They said the payment hasn't been processed bcoz my account is not linked with their complete. It made sense since I was/am facing an issue with linking my bank account with Upwork. They then shared how I'll be an remote employee and get an id card after my next project as they were very impressed by my work.  They said for the payment to process I've to obtain employee portal. For that I need to make a refundable registration fee of $80. And then I'll recieve the payment right away. It sounds like a scam. The email was from Raptive LLC. I don't know if I should even proceed with it. I don't think so I will but I just want to make sure if it is a scam or not. Has anyone else also recieved a job from them?

20 REPLIES 20
yofazza
Community Member

Yes

8def51fa
Community Member

Yes it was a scam they will also show you fake transactions and told you that your payment is just 1 step ahead don't go for that type scams and frauds also never pay anytype of pre payment just for getting your own payment 

Such type of scammers usually use telegram to contact or messenger fb

I have also done a project for them and given my bank details for payment . I haven't got any messages after that . The messages here are telling it is a sure scam. What am I supposed to do ? I am new to upwork . So I don't know anything 

Stop all communication with the scammer, and report to Upwork. Never give your private information to a client. There is no need for it, ever. To be safe, change all passwords, security questions, etc.

Because you are new, and haven't read the rules, you are a giant beacon to the scammers. Read this post, and follow every link. The information will guide you through Upwork resources to be successful and not scammed. Pay close attention to the Terms of Service and the Red Flags on Scams from Wes.

You must assume everyone you meet online is a scammer, until proven otherwise. Clients are no different from random strangers you meet in a chat room. Freelancers have to protect themselves, because no one, including Upwork, will do it for you. Be safe.

Iam very happy to be amember of your company iam interested

You are supposed to read the rules and regulations of Upwork. Being new to Upwork doesn't give you the right to break them. This is an open market with legitimate clients and fraud, just like any other market in the world.

"I believe that every student has great potential but requires the right guidance."

This was written on your profile, and all the guidance you need to conduct your business here was provided when you created your profile. Sharing private information with anyone on the internet is simply foolish. Go to Upwork's articles about rules, spend some time reading them, learn about freelancing on YouTube, and then come back here to sell your skills. I guarantee you will never ask questions like "Is this a scam?".

c7f042c5
Community Member

100% Scam

d_pagani
Community Member

I just waisted 2 days doing a Job for them 

sent my bank details to deposit the Money 

and now received an email to deposit $80 

so sad that there are people out there that take advantage on people who really need the Money

You are openly admitting that you tried to get payment outside upwork platform ? this can get you permanently ban.

They will argue for their scams, or cry that Upwork didn't save them.

What do you call it, when the freelancer ignores the rules and does what they please, then gets scammed?

Why did you violate the basic rules? Why do you expect legitimacy, when you broke the rules? It's one thing to ignore the Terms of Service for watching YouTube, when the worst thing that can happen is you are banned.

This is business. You are a self-employed business person, responsible for everything that happens in your business, including if you are scammed. Yes, there are occasions when innocent people are scammed. This is not the case for many. When you willingly break the rules, and no doubt have an incomplete profile, you get what you put into it. So, no, I do not feel sorry for you or others who break the rules. Why would I? There are millions of people here, and most don't break the rules. It's sad when someone has a chargeback or some other debacle that was no fault of their own. It's not sad when people intentionally break the rule.

I have no sympathy for those who deliberately violate the rules. Nor do I have sympathy for those who dive before looking, and expect they will somehow get jobs with no investment and no skills.

After working with freelancers for an extended time period, I am disgusted with how many will argue for their scams, and insist I am keeping them from riches.

30b75b8c
Community Member

Definitely a scam! Always, ALWAYS work inside Upwork, so that your work and your payment are guaranteed.

f7171203
Community Member

Hey,**Edited for Community Guidelines**is total scam they contacted me through upwork and I completed a project for them but he is saying I have to pay $80 for linking with there account but the fact is that how could I pay $80 as if they don't transfer the payment to my account because of the linking issue how could I transfer $80 to their account

Its written all over your profile that you are waiting to be scammed.

3113d9f8
Community Member

good thing I searched about their company first. they also made me an offer 😞

i am happy

JEAN-CHARLES Jean Berson
79eb8599
Community Member

I after I complet my task they ask me linking fee $80 to get payment. I think they are scammers 

Yes. Also you broke rules and may be banned.

Did they ask you to convert pdf file to word file with 100 pages? they are asking me to link into their payment scheme and asking for a refundable amount of 80 dollars which i doubt that you can get it back....

The work to be done is not important. The importance is to follow the Terms of Service. Planning to get paid outside Upwork can get your account suspended.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members