🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How do I close/delete my account?
Page options
e037de2a
Community Member

How do I close/delete my account?

Hello. I made a profile on Upwork. When trying to cancel, I get

**Edited for Community Guidelines**
I want to be able to fix it myself without being forced towards a phone number.
Regards, V.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
LuiggiR

Hi Vikram,

If you'd like to close your account, first make sure you withdraw any active proposals on your Proposals page

complete and close any active contracts and don't have any available or pending balance. Then you can close your account by visiting this page. For more information and detailed steps, please visit this help article.

As a gentle reminder, please know that you will not be allowed to create a new account. If you need to use your Upwork account again in the future, you can reach out to us through our different support channels, and we will assist you with reinstating your account.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

View solution in original post

456 REPLIES 456
abu_ansarul-mush
Community Member

I'm sorry to hear that you are having difficulty closing your Upwork account. Unfortunately, it seems that in this case, you will need to contact Upwork's concierge team via phone to assist you with closing your account.

If you're uncomfortable with calling, you could try reaching out to Upwork's customer support team via their website or email. However, they may direct you to call the concierge team for account closure.

It's important to note that if you have any outstanding contracts or payments on Upwork, you will need to resolve those before closing your account. This could be why they require you to call their team to ensure everything is properly settled.

I hope this information helps, and please let me know if you have any further questions.

spectralua
Community Member

I think it make sense. If someone hacked your accout then his unable to close it without call.

LuiggiR

Hi Vikram,

If you'd like to close your account, first make sure you withdraw any active proposals on your Proposals page

complete and close any active contracts and don't have any available or pending balance. Then you can close your account by visiting this page. For more information and detailed steps, please visit this help article.

As a gentle reminder, please know that you will not be allowed to create a new account. If you need to use your Upwork account again in the future, you can reach out to us through our different support channels, and we will assist you with reinstating your account.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
49f3fbcc
Community Member

I want to delete my account but i have a pending proposal of a job that has been removed. So i can't delete the account unless i close the proposal for the removed job

Hi Isaac,

I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern; Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up and assist you further. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Can you close my account? 

Hi Ivy,

I've escalated your concern to the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
a7936422
Community Member

My project has been completed. Now I have to delete my account permanently. What should I do so that my account gets permanently deleted or if I ever need to go back and create a new account with this Gmail ID?

Hi Jeba,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
58b2effc
Community Member

I am trying to close my account but it says that I can't because this job has been removed from Upwork, so we are no longer able to retrieve your proposal. However the job I sent the proposal too is no longer there and I can't withdrawl my proposal. I'd like to get this solved very soon.

Hi Rose,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
8a0fd567
Community Member

İ want to close my upwork account permanently please delete my account 

Hi Hafsa,

I've escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
e35a9c09
Community Member

Hi Luiggi, a pleasure to meet you. I've been experiencing the same issue over the past few days. Every time I try to close my account this message shows up:

'Thank you for using Upwork. At this time we are unable to close your account. Please visit support.upwork.com to reach out to us directly. Please note: For security purposes, you will not be able to change your username, or open a new account with the same email address.'

So I reached out to support via the bot, and I'm not sure if the bot has some IQ issues or if it was designed like this on purpose to drive people crazy, but it doesn't seem to comprehend that I require human assistance to close my account due to technical issues. Could you assist me in resolving this matter by initiating a case, please? My experience over the past few days has been quite frustrating, and I'm hoping for a more positive ending.

Hi Alan,

I am sorry to learn about your decision to go. Your account has been closed as requested by you.

- Pradeep

Upwork
3c91a7b7
Community Member

Hi Luiggi, I hope you are doing very well, I need help, i can't close my upwork account, when i was trying, upwork say "contact support" =(

Hi Sebastian,

I'm sorry to hear about your decision to leave. I can confirm that your account has been already closed.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
59a13e49
Community Member

Hi. I want to close my account but I get a message that I have to contact support. However, that seems like an impossible task. The bot in support.upwork.com will never put me through with a person and I don't know how to open a ticket. Can you help me?

I don't have any pending proposals, contracts or payments.

Thanks

Hi Lucas,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
59a13e49
Community Member

Thanks!

578a60ac
Community Member

Luiggi, I've followed the steps in the above article, but when I click "Close my account", I get a message that says:

"At this time we are unable to close your account. Please visit support.upwork.com to reach out to us directly."

And I see zero way to actually reach out directly.  Please advise.

Hi Jody,

I'm sorry you're having trouble closing your account. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
527394fe
Community Member

Hi,

I want to have my account closed, I can't close it manually, because I can't delete offers that were removed

Please delete my account, thank you.

527394fe
Community Member

Hey Luiggi

Since the posts that were posted got deleted I can't withdraw my application manualy, therefore I cannot close my account. Could you please delete my account?

5f4a0a75
Community Member

i did this but its not working. there are two archived proposals that are expired but i cant delete or do anything with those. pleas ehlep! i want to close this account permanently and open a new one with the same phone number

9203a15c
Community Member

Yes plz delete my account

Hi Jasmine,

~ Luiggi
Upwork
a4ebf1b5
Community Member

Hello Luiggi, I am asking this for a friend. She has closed her account in Upwork. However, she has not received any email or Certificate of her closed account in Upwork. She needs either a certificate or an email mentioning that she is no longer working with Upwork. Is it possible to get one? Or can she atleast get a confirmation by email?

58b4a957
Community Member

I want to close my account 

Hi Keana,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you on this page with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
9f30f8e1
Community Member

I am unable to close my account. I have not used my account since 2019 and have never accepted any proposal or had any clients. I do not have any teams. Please close my account.

Hi John,

I'm sorry to learn that you wish to proceed with closing your account. I've converted your post into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
245b594d
Community Member

I tried to close my account but it says it can't be done at the moment and then prompts me to call an American phone number, which is very expensive from EU. Shouldn't be necessary at all... Please delete my account. Thank you. 

Hi Lorenzo,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I check and it looks like one of our agents already followed up with you on your support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
ac163747
Community Member

Hi, 

I need to delete my UpWork account because I'm not legally allowed to be hired into contracts, online or not, as a 15-year-old. My intent for creating this account was to make some money online but I recently discovered that this is illegal and would like to delete my account ASAP.

However, prior to finding this out, I sent a proposal to a job offer and the owner messaged me saying they were interested. They have since deleted that job post and now I am stuck with an active proposal in a deleted job, which is preventing me from deleting my account. I need to delete my account ASAP so I would appreciate any and all help! Thanks in advance. 

Hi Leo,

Thank you for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
73daa739
Community Member

Hey, I am facing an issue regarding closing my account.

I have closed all the contracts, and no active proposals or payments are left. Still, I am unable to close my account.

Please help,

Iqra

lingwei
Community Member

Hello,

I have the same problem. When I try closing my account, I am requested to call a number in the US. The roaming fees being quite prohibitive, I tried opening a ticket with support but it was not processed.

Is there a way to close the account without spending hundreds of dollars while waiting on hold?

Best regards,

Lingwei

Hi Lingwei,

I checked and it looks like our team has already closed your account. Feel free to respond to your support ticket if you need further assistance.

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members