🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » First time using Upwork for a contract work a...
Page options
fengkefrances121
Community Member

First time using Upwork for a contract work and got into Scam

Hi community, 

This is my first time accepting an Upwork contractor work and it was a scam. Here are my experience. 

1. They sent me "contract accept" and congratulated me on the job 

2. They asked in Upwork chat message for name, address, email, and phone number. I provided it to them.

3. They sent me a pdf contract asking me to sign. The contract looks normal and you can find a faked Linkedin file of HR and PM

4. They asked me to accept an e-check they sent via email and purchase equipment (This is where I got suspicious)

After that, I try to get a hold of Upwork support, but no one ever responded. The contract could not be closed, and I unfortuantely leaked my address and phone number to these scamers. A few questions:

1. Can they access my social security number through Upwork after granting me the job? 

I have already alerted banks, downloaded a experian monitor to track identity theft, and yes, still trying to get a hold of Upwork real person because their chat box can't answer any concret problem except wiki links. 

Hope everyone can learn from my experience. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
the-right-writer
Community Member

This is a typical scam. Before you are scammed again, read this post, and follow every link. Pay close attention to the Terms of Service and the Red Flags on Scams from Wes.

You need to have a complete and professional profile to deter scammers and attract real clients.

They have your number, they don't need to go through Upwork to get it. I'm glad you have taken steps to safeguard yourself, and take this as a lesson learned that you need to educate yourself before you have more problems. I wouldn't worry about your number; the scammers want money. The rest is usually to make it appear the job might be real.

No one, including Upwork , will protect you. There are a lot of scams here, some easier to spot than others. Be safe.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
the-right-writer
Community Member

This is a typical scam. Before you are scammed again, read this post, and follow every link. Pay close attention to the Terms of Service and the Red Flags on Scams from Wes.

You need to have a complete and professional profile to deter scammers and attract real clients.

They have your number, they don't need to go through Upwork to get it. I'm glad you have taken steps to safeguard yourself, and take this as a lesson learned that you need to educate yourself before you have more problems. I wouldn't worry about your number; the scammers want money. The rest is usually to make it appear the job might be real.

No one, including Upwork , will protect you. There are a lot of scams here, some easier to spot than others. Be safe.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members