🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Fake Testimonials
Page options
martinamada
Community Member

Fake Testimonials

I've been a freelancer on UW for about a year now. Among the services I offer is remote acting. "Testimonial" videos are in demand, and I've done several. Until now I've told myself that viewers must surely realize I'm a paid actor and caveat emptor (Buyer Beware!) However increasingly, some of the job offers I'm getting are clearly making exaggerated claims (what advertising doesn't?), but I certainly don't want to be involved in committing fraud. So far I haven't been asked to promote anything that I think will harm anyone, but I am considering requiring indemnification from my clients and/or assurance that the videos in which I appear come with an "Actor Portrayal" message on the screen.  I've written to the UW Trust and Safety department and I'm awaiting their advisement. In the meantime feedback is welcome.    

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Got you. Im not actor but saw that client within default Upwork agreement have all rules for product after paid. So able to do with your picture anything he want if other requirements not agreed. So additional detailed agreement is useful. This is allowed.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
spectralua
Community Member

So did you already applied for that or just looking for ways to protect yourself before apply?

martinamada
Community Member

I have done several testimonials without taking any special precautions. I am considering my options for protecting myself going forward, since I am being offered more and more of this kind or work. 

Got you. Im not actor but saw that client within default Upwork agreement have all rules for product after paid. So able to do with your picture anything he want if other requirements not agreed. So additional detailed agreement is useful. This is allowed.

Thank you. I think that in cases where I have concerns I will inform the client that I will be delivering the final video with the words "ACTOR PORTRAYAL" displayed on screen at the bottom, and if the client is not ok with that I will have to turn down the job.  

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members