🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Clients are not responding for a long time.
Page options
viktor1106
Community Member

Clients are not responding for a long time.

Hi,
I'd like to get your advice on this issue.
I have 5 opened projects now. But there is only one project I'm working on.
I haven't heard anything from clients on the other projects.
I sent the finished results to all clients and they all loved my work.
I asked for closing the contract many times but they all disappeared and haven't been responding yet.
One of them paused the contract without any discussion about 1 year ago.
I have been working as a Top - rate freelancer with 100 % job success rate for over 2 years.
I really do not want to leave any black history in my account.
Some of my new clients said they can see all active 5 contracts on my account and have wondered if I can work on a new contract.
I think all of these are disturbing my activity for getting a new job here.
Pls, help me with how to close these all contracts without any negative influence on the job success rate of my account.
Thank you.

26 REPLIES 26
roberty1y
Community Member

You can close all these contracts yourself. It will neither damage nor improve your job success score if you do so. 

Thank you so much, Robert.

Hi Robert,
How are you sure about this issue? 
I finished 2 projects as your mentioned.
But my JSS was downgraded immediately.
OMG !!!

It can't be for these jobs if there's no feedback. JSS is assessed on jobs you did during a six-month period. It will change when older jobs drop out of that calculation period and new ones come in.

Thank you for the advice. I'll go ahead and close the contracts myself to keep my profile clean. I appreciate your help!

I regularly close idle contracts after 4 - 6 weeks of no communication from such clients.

But I first send a message via each project's messaging asking the client to close or pause their project on Upwork's system if there is no more work to be done in the near future, telling them how much I enjoyed working with them (whether that's true or not) and letting them know I'd be happy to reopen the project at any time (whether that's true or not).

That works about 20% of the time. So, after another two weeks I close those projects. Maybe 10% (or less) of those clients ever leave feedback.

I only close no more than three or four idle projects during the 15 - 20 minutes before the biweekly deadline for JSS calculations. That allows me to easily keep an eye on whether any of those clients do leave feedback over the next two weeks.

And, yes, I have had such clients come back at a later date with more work for me. I have never had a client complain that I closed their projects, though some have apologized and said they didn't even think about whether or not they should close their projects.

Good luck!

deardipu
Community Member

Viktor,

You can close all the inactive projects by yourself. It will not impact your JSS neither positively nor negatively unless clients give you any feedback. However, your profile looks great. 

I appreciate it.

mar_work
Community Member

They always recommend closing inactive contracts by waiting two weeks between the closing of one and the closing of the next, to ensure that the JSS is not affected. Perhaps a customer has left a negative private review? I don't think there is any other way to explain the decline.

Marcelo,

I don't know who "they" are, but I regularly close multiple idle projects at a time.

But there is an advantage to closing one project at a time if you are worried about what rating one or more of your clients will be if you are Top Rated and can delete feedback.

Regardless, I recommend you close your idle projects just a few minutes before the biweekly feedback deadline. Do it late enough before midnight Greenwich Mean TIme every two weeks and the client(s) will have the following two weeks to leave feedback. If your JSS rating drops as of three Sundays later, you know which client left the offending private feedback.

.But this approach is not infallible. Upwork has done everything it can to prevent freelancers from knowing when a particular ex-client has left negative private feedback. Your actual JSS is the highest caculated JSS from four different time periods - the last 3, 6, 12 and 24 months. So, your JSS can also be adversely affected by high client ratings that drop out of those periods. 

And if you are not Top Rated you might as well get negative feedback out of the way. Doing one closure every two weeks just means you are delaying the inevitable and your JSS will be vulnerable for a longer time.

But there is no perfect solution. 

Good luck!

2df1e9c0
Community Member

I understand that you are having difficulty closing the contracts with your clients who have stopped responding. This situation can be quite frustrating, but there are a few things you can do.

First, make sure you have documented all your attempts to close the contract. This will serve as evidence of your efforts and may help you in the future if any of these clients come back and try to hold you responsible for something.

Second, you may want to try sending a final email to the clients one more time. Make sure to mention that this is your final attempt to close the contract and that if you do not hear back from them you will consider the contract closed.

Finally, if you still do not hear back from them you may want to reach out to the customer service team here on Upwork. They may be able to help you close the contracts without any negative influence on your job success rate.

I hope this information helps. Good luck!

fa5f312b
Community Member

They usually propose waiting two weeks between the conclusion of one **Edited for Community Guidelines** and the closing of the next to guarantee that the JSS is not affected. Maybe a consumer left a nasty private review? I don't believe there is any other explanation for the drop.

They typically suggest waiting for two weeks between concluding one project and closing the next to ensure the JSS remains unaffected. Could it be that a customer left a negative private review? I can't think of any other explanation for the decline.

JSS has nothing to do with closed jobs or no feedback. It can look bad, if you have a list of jobs with no feedback, but there is no impact on the JSS.

Poor private feedback is usually the cause.

To keep your record spotless, think about getting in touch with each client directly and letting them know that you want to conclude the contracts. Ask them politely whether they are satisfied **Edited for Community Guidelines** talk to them about the prospect of formally terminating the contracts. Stress how dedicated you are to keeping a spotless professional record. 

Why are you people spamming the platform with your site? This is a jobs platform, not your space for marketing. I've asked the moderators to remove this stuff from all thread.

94e770ff
Community Member

In this situation, maintaining a pristine job success rate is vital for a freelancer's reputation. Patiently and politely reaching out to inactive clients, requesting contract closures, and utilizing the platform's messaging system can help. If all else fails, consider contacting platform support. In the meantime, focus on delivering exceptional work to your active client, showcasing your expertise on your profile, and setting clear expectations with new clients. Ultimately, professionalism and persistence can help ensure your freelancing career remains untarnished while you navigate the challenge of closing inactive contracts.

8e6da85a
Community Member

1. Contact the Clients: Reach out to the clients for the inactive contracts once more, explaining your situation and asking if they are willing to officially close the contracts. Politely express your desire to keep your profile clean.

2. Request Feedback: Request feedback from these clients, as even if they don't close the contracts, feedback can improve your profile's reputation.

3. Use the "End Contract" Option: If the clients don't respond, use the "End Contract" option yourself. Be sure to select "Client no longer needs project" as the reason for closure, as this won't negatively impact your job success score.

4. Explain in Your Profile: You can briefly explain the situation in your profile description, letting potential clients know that you are proactive about managing your contracts, which might reassure them.

8fd8662f
Community Member

To guarantee that the JSS is not impacted, they always advise ending inactive contracts by giving two weeks' notice between one closing and the next. Maybe there is a nasty private review from a customer? There must be another explanation for this drop, in my opinion.

To ensure the stability of the JSS (Job Success Score), it is recommended to conclude inactive contracts with a two-week notice period between each closure. Is it possible that an unfavorable private review from a customer is causing this decline? I believe there must be an alternative explanation for the drop.

d9078523
Community Member

Hey Viktor, a friend of mine **Edited for Community Guidelines** also faced the same issues. Based on her experience, I would suggest closing the contracts from your end but before doing so drop a message in the relevant chat and state the reason of closing the contract. Also, ask the client for feedback. This does not affect your JSS or profile. If you need more help, feel free to DM me. 
Regards

8fd8662f
Community Member

If clients are unresponsive or if there are any outstanding issues, consider using the platform's resolution center to initiate a conversation about closing the contract.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Upwork won't take sides in regards to when a contract should be closed or whether freelancer should do so if the client refuses. There is no point in contacting Support for help.

If a client won't close a long-idle project, just close it yourself and move on.

If a client is not taking action on a long-idle project, it may be appropriate to consider closing it yourself and moving on. This can help you allocate your time and resources more effectively. Before doing so, it's advisable to communicate with the client, expressing your concerns about the project's status and seeking their input. If there's no response or resolution, you can then follow the relevant procedures for project closure based on your agreement or contract with the client. Always ensure clear communication and documentation throughout the process.

If a project has been inactive for an extended period and the client is not taking any initiative, it might be prudent to proactively close the project and shift your focus. This allows for better allocation of your time and resources. Prior to taking this step, it is recommended to engage in communication with the client, articulating your apprehensions regarding the project's current status and inviting their feedback. In the absence of a response or resolution, proceed to follow the specified procedures for project closure as outlined in your agreement or contract with the client. Maintain transparent communication and thorough documentation throughout this process.

14e2e1e3
Community Member

Initiate a discussion about contract closure using the platform's resolution center if clients are non-responsive or if there are any unresolved issues.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members