🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can using VPN increase chances of winning job...
Page options
d4e73879
Community Member

Can using VPN increase chances of winning jobs/requests?

Hello Upwork!

I was wondering what if someone changes their VPN location to lets say USA, NewYork. Does it increase your chances of getting more jobs from there, or maybe will i appear in the clients "best matches freelancer suggestion" and they will send me job requests. Also some jobs have location restriction, meaning even if the job is a best match for you, the client might ignore your proposal because of not being in the same location as them.

In short can changing location help in the above scenarios? Please advise.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
celgins
Community Member

I have seen no evidence that changing locations using a VPN increases the chances of winning jobs in a particular location. The best way to increase your chances of winning jobs is to have marketable skills, an excellent profile illustrating those skills, and well-written, convincing proposals. This holds true no matter your physical location.

A clent's location restriction does not prevent outside freelancers from applying to the job. Freelancers often apply (and sometimes win) jobs with location restrictions.

While using a VPN is not a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service, your account may be placed on hold if there are inconsistencies with your location. My advice is to use your exact location--clients will appreciate it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
celgins
Community Member

I have seen no evidence that changing locations using a VPN increases the chances of winning jobs in a particular location. The best way to increase your chances of winning jobs is to have marketable skills, an excellent profile illustrating those skills, and well-written, convincing proposals. This holds true no matter your physical location.

A clent's location restriction does not prevent outside freelancers from applying to the job. Freelancers often apply (and sometimes win) jobs with location restrictions.

While using a VPN is not a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service, your account may be placed on hold if there are inconsistencies with your location. My advice is to use your exact location--clients will appreciate it.

spectralua
Community Member

You must use your real location. Or will be banned if catched trying to cheat with VPN.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members