🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Address not updated in the Invoice
Page options
aizahasan
Community Member

Address not updated in the Invoice

I need my address to be updated on my invoices.

I also need a T4 form to file taxes in Canada.

2 REPLIES 2
AndreaG

Hi Aizah,

When you update your address in Settings, all future invoices will show the new address. Please note that invoices are not retroactively updated. Also, please keep in mind that Upwork only collect GST/HST on Upwork's service fee. We do not collect personal taxes. Please consult a local tax advisor on the T4A form.

~Andrea
Upwork
patchworksvideo
Community Member

Perhaps a Canadian can chime in, but isn't T4 a form that an employer would send?

For most work on Upwork, we are not employees, but rather independent contractors. What we do here in the US is simply track our own income (and expenses!) related to self employment, and fill out areas in our tax returns related to self-employment activity for which no tax form exists (such as Upwork freelancers who earned under $20,000 US and/or have under 200 Upwork transactions).

Some info from TurboTax Canada about self employment:

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/need-file-self-employed-taxes-8285

Talk to a tax professional, reminding them that you're not an employee, you worked through Upwork.

A few relevant threads about Upwork and tax in Canada:

Upwork - Canada Indirect Taxes for Freelancers (related to provincial / GST, not income tax) 

Reddit - Tax filing question - Canadian freelancer, American employer

*Note that this user initially thought they'd be looking for a T4, but others provided context about self employment and how to report that in Canada.

As always, talk to a tax professional for clarity, but make sure they understand that Upwork is not your employer, you did this work as self employment.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members