🐈
» Community » Community Blog » From Zero to Hero | My Upwork Journey From Tr...
Page options
From Zero to Hero | My Upwork Journey From Tragedy to $8k in 12 Months

After a tragic accident left me unable to type or talk for a period, I thought my freelancing working days were over. But through determination and physical therapy, I regained my mobility and voice.

But when I returned to Upwork, I noticed many new freelancers on the Community Board posting that they struggle to create stand-out profiles and proposals. What I see and hear often in the community is: “I need a job!”, “What am I supposed to do to land my first job at Upwork?”, or my favorite: “How do I get a job?”

Having rebuilt my own freelancing career from scratch, I want to show others how to succeed as well.

If you are new to Upwork, staring at that blank profile and endless job posts, that is exactly where you are. Well, take a deep breath, because I am here to tell you: it is possible. In fact, I went from Zero to racking up over $8,000 in less than a year. How? I am spilling the secrets (minus the magic spells, sorry!).

Secret #1: Skills + Knowledge = Clients Must Be Satisfied

Skills matter, this is true…so does knowing how to present them. Tell your client that you will check in with the progress on the project steps you outlined in your proposal. Regular progress updates on completion dates are key to effective communication and trust from the client. This action encourages the client to write a nice, personalized feedback about your efforts on the job.

Think with me for a moment, if your client does not make more money with your help…
(this is termed ‘increased revenue’)
“How can they afford to pay you?”

Secret #2: Tame the Time Beast

Upwork's time tracker is your best friend. Learn it, love it, use it on fixed rate jobs - this will help you manage your workload like a pro. View how to do this in the Learning Path Videos of ‘Getting Started on Upwork.’ You will gain a badge to display on your profile when you complete the video. Badges increase a freelancer's profile and reliability on Upwork. Remember, deadlines are sacred.

But here is the secret sauce: offer reviewed work ahead of schedule whenever possible. It shows initiative and impresses clients. Always check if the client is happy with the work as you progress. Communication is key!

Secret #3: Less is More

Clients are busy. Do not crush them with long proposals. Keep it short, sweet, and impactful, under 250 words is best. Focus on what you can solve for them, not your life story. Use bullet points, highlight your skills that will solve their problem or issue in the project, and limit yourself to four points. Make every word count.

Secret #4: Read, Reflect, Repeat

Seems simple, right? Do not read a job post just once! Re-read carefully at least twice. Treat each one like a treasure map. Read it twice, three times if needed. Understand the specific problem the client is facing and craft/write your offer accordingly.

Remember, clients on tight deadlines may post jobs with typos, so be sure to double-check everything before submitting your proposal. Ask the client in your proposal if something does not make sense (even after Googling it) use your judgment. Clarify all doubts.

Secret #5: Keep Learning

The freelance world is ever evolving. Stay ahead of the curve by taking online courses, within Upwork, and attending online workshops. Remember, your journey is just beginning. There will be bumps along the road, but with these secrets and a dash of determination, you too can unlock your capability and worth on Upwork. Try it!

Pro Tip: If you want to join the world of rewarding freelance opportunities, be sure to check the ‘Learning Path Videos’ for more details on applying the best practices to highlight your unique skills and talents to clients. How about investing 15 minutes or more a day? Upwork reveals all within them!

My story shows that with dedication and the right strategy, anyone can build their dream freelance career, no matter what setbacks you have faced. I wish you the best. – MaryG.

56 Comments