🐈
» Forums » Clients » the freelancer is a scammer
Page options
391cad62
Community Member

the freelancer is a scammer

Freelancers worked without client approval on task to which the client has not agreed and log their time using a time tracker.
Currently, scammers are abusing the upwork hourly protection and logging the time.
Moreover, this freelancer doesn't know the job specifications at all.

Even if the freelancer logged hours complies with the hourly protection term, he logged time behind the client on a task that didn't make sense.

It really is unfair to the client if I have to spend money on these pointless tasks as well.

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

Why are you working with a freelancer who is a scammer?

Why are you working with a freelancer if you don't love his work?

This isn't about the freelancer.

This is about the client.

The client is not a charity that pay the scammers and at the beging of work the scammers don't  introduce themself to the clients

luqman_mak
Community Member

The way hourly contracts are set up allows you to have control over them - you can pause the contract and start it when needed, you can also limit the hours worked in a week.

Pausing a contract:
https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062218-Put-an-Hourly-Contract-on-Hold
Dispute hours worked:
https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062158
General contract info:
https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063418-Hourly-vs-Fixed-Price-Projects

For now, check if you are still within the time window to dispute the hours. Hope that helps.

ladyelexia
Community Member

As the client, when you started the contract you should have set it at ZERO hours until you provided the work information. Ok, if you did not, as a client you also have the option to pause a contract when not in use. Or end it completely. As a client, you have the option to dispute the work hours during the review days. There is no reason why you should have sent a contract and the left the platform for 2 weeks, which is the amount of time it would take for both a week of billing and a week of review to pass unnoticed. As a client you also get emails every time work is started under the tracker, you also get emails to review the work completed under the time tracker during the review process. YOU need to act like a client and use the site correctly. It is rather difficult for a freelancer to scam on hear in the way you have mentioned. 

Heather is right.

Clients have EXTENSIVE controls.

A client cannot get "scammed" by freelancers unless the client is simply being negligent.

This does not "excuse" bad behavior on the part of any freelancer. But the truth is, SOME people on Upwork are scoundrels. Clients need to manage freelancers effectively. Or they need to hire a project manager.

4901f58a
Community Member

I got scammed by a freelancer on Upwork. I am new to Upwork. I did an hourly contract - he agreed to a price and then charged me double the amount. I didnt know why Upwork doesnt have an 'approve' function. I was trying to set a call with him to discuss the issue and in the meantime the 'window' ran out. I will not be using this again. I lost $1400

Latest Articles
Learning Paths