🐈
» Forums » Clients » New to Upwork - How do I pay someone?
Page options
2c380139
Community Member

New to Upwork - How do I pay someone?

I posted about a job for a fixed price.

Someone contacted me, saying their rate was some number. I didn't respond because my job was for a fixed price.

I come in today because Upwork said my job was about to expire. While I was here, I checked my messages and found that he has completed the job. He zipped up the work and sent it to me.

I am fine with giving him the fixed price, but how do I go about that? Do I have to accept someone for the role first?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
shariful_siraji
Community Member

To pay someone on Upwork, you need to create a payment account and add your payment information. You can use a credit or debit card, PayPal, eCheck, or bank transfer.

Before you pay the freelancer, you should accept them for the role and agree on the fixed price. You can do this by sending them an offer and waiting for their acceptance.

Once you have an active contract with the freelancer, you can release the payment when the work is done. You can do this by going to your contract room and clicking on the Pay Now button.

I hope this helps. Do you have any other questions about Upwork?

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
sofia2008
Community Member

Joe P wrote:

Do I have to accept someone for the role first?

Yes, but you would need to hire the freelancer of your choice according to the agreement you both had, not the one sending the work without being hired.

Is there a reason why you did not hire anyone before?

7c7ef4e0
Community Member

Yes, you need to officially hire the freelancer for the role on Upwork before you can proceed with the payment. Once you hire them, you can release the payment for the fixed price job through the Upwork platform.

luce-neidert
Community Member

I guess the freelancer was a beginer too, as freelancers should never start a job before having a contract with the client!

In reality, as sad as this may sound, you have no obligation to hire and pay that freelancer. Have you checked his profile to see if he has the ability to do your job correctly?

asadarooj
Community Member

Hello sir ! 

Arooj,

Don't send that kind of message on the forum! I guess you're not allowed to do so.

Dear Luce N, This will help the beginers Freelencer or client. So don't request other for not to post so.

Thank you.

yofazza
Community Member

Kids are not allowed here.

Ayub, I have no idea what the original message posted in August was. It probably was more than "Hello Sir !" and must have been edited since.

elisa_b
Community Member

You should think twice before asking experienced freelancers to shut up. 

shariful_siraji
Community Member

To pay someone on Upwork, you need to create a payment account and add your payment information. You can use a credit or debit card, PayPal, eCheck, or bank transfer.

Before you pay the freelancer, you should accept them for the role and agree on the fixed price. You can do this by sending them an offer and waiting for their acceptance.

Once you have an active contract with the freelancer, you can release the payment when the work is done. You can do this by going to your contract room and clicking on the Pay Now button.

I hope this helps. Do you have any other questions about Upwork?

How do I add bank transfer details? Under my profile Settings > Billing & Payments there are only two options (payment card or paypal). xx

Hi Ali,

Thank you for reaching out and raising this query. Please be aware that bank account billing is available for those with a qualifying Upwork billing history. If you see it as an option in your Billing & Payments when you begin to add a payment, you are eligible.

It looks like your account is not eligible yet. Feel free to check this help article for more details.

~ Arjay
Upwork
bc7fddff
Community Member

How do I fund a new milestone without releasing payment for a previous milestone yet?

Or if I click on Pay Now, do I get the option to release a specific amount of money from escrow for the time being?

Thank you for your response, Chukwudi Benny,

I looked closely and confirmed that additional action needs to be taken for you to have full access to your account. I've escalated this issue to the appropriate team and raised a support ticket. Once your case is thoroughly reviewed, kindly expect an update from one of the team members on this page.

~ Arjay
Upwork
95c8a7a1
Community Member

Hello, everyone. I am a citizen of Ukraine who now lives in the United States. I recently started my job on Upwork. I was wondering if anyone could help me. How do I pay taxes? Is it true that I have to pay 30% of the amount that comes to Upwork? Since I sometimes act as an intermediary and receive only 10% of the amount that comes in

be1d9b24
Community Member

It's very good and I want to change using this thing so I need your help and please do it and I want to change and I want to help others also I want to participate in this dream other people

be1d9b24
Community Member

I'm very happy to these works and I need more work 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths