Contractors who DEMAND 5 stars

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Power Member
9 Posts

Contractors who DEMAND 5 stars

[ Edited ]
For all clients out there who have no clue about this (I didn't until recently), there are TONS of arrogant (I'm SOOOOO great) contractors out there who think THEY deserve 5 stars & if you don't give it to them, they get angry & abusive. I rarely ever give a contractor 5 stars, not unless they do very very good quality work. Most don't, that's a fact of life. If everyone was excellent in everything they do, the world would be run in top notch shape & no one would have any problems with anything. LOL, clearly that's NOT the case. Most people are average in their skill set, communication skills, intelligence, customer service, etc. etc. Also did you know that contractors won't accept an invite or bid on your job if they see you've given other contractors poor feedback? I'm guessing even if you gave them average feedback, let's say 3.5 stars, they would thumb their noses at you. How ******is THAT mindset??? Oh & they also won't accept the bid if you haven't hired others, so basically clients are forced into hiring temp staff just to get feedback so they can get the REAL staff some time down the road. So should we feel forced into giving contractors 5 stars just to avoid waves & to get contractors who are great at their job? Clients PLEASE, you have to provide feedback & be honest if they aren't good workers. The last thing I want to do is hire someone who's terrible & I won't know either way if you don't do that last part of the process. I have a client on Elance who's given contractors he's hired in the past 5 stars & he had NO intentions of ever hiring them again. He admitted why he did it (he felt bad for them.) He didn't even give me 5 stars as my hourly rate was too much for him, yet he has kept me on for 6 months & he got me at a steal. Too many clients are afraid to give poor feedback, & this hurts my company because you aren't being honest. And this is also a problem across the board on other bidding sites like Elance, so it's not just an oDesk issue, but I found out about the problem on oDesk when some cocky immature contractor told me why he wasn't going to bid on my job. One time it was because of a negative review, the other time it was because I hadn't hired a lot of people. Michelle P.S. I've tried to edit this twice now, but am exhausted, so I apologize in advance if there are any grammatical or typing errors. *[Removed by Admin]
Community Guru
211 Posts

Feedback..

[ Edited ]
is subjective, but I have to agree with you about providing honest feedback. But then again, the system allows you to hide those nasty comments so how will this work for transparency? No matter how tempting to burn the bridges, it's better to leave on a positive note because there's such a thing called karma.. and it's digital. There are a very few contractors (including myself) that would give clients with zero hires and bad feedback a chance... and turns out that they are the ones who are more likely to commit for the long run, if only you will communicate objectively with these clients who had bad experiences or nil. Simply, they are keepers. :smileywink:
Power Member
9 Posts

It's not about burning

[ Edited ]
It's not about burning bridges, it's about being honest so the next person can see what happened & judge from there if they should hire. Obviously if a freelancer ripped off a client, did very bad work, or was very unprofessional nasty, etc. why wouldn't you expect a client to talk about their experiences? Some people just ignore the situation & don't do anything. I'm a strong believer that in order for their to be change, one has to speak up. Ignoring things doesn't solve anything. Karma has nothing to do with it IMO. The boss is the boss & has every right to give a freelancer a review just like any company would do in the offline world. I'm not saying be spiteful, I'm saying relay what happened whether positive or negative. It's even more damaging to lie & say the freelancer was great like my current client used to do & maybe still does, although I did talk to him about it. Then I hire that person & end up having a terrible experience. That's not fair to me.
Power Member
55 Posts

Cognitive dissonance?

[ Edited ]
These two statements look rather odd to me in the same post: [quote=Michelle K.] I rarely ever give a contractor 5 stars, not unless they do very very good quality work. Most don't, that's a fact of life. If everyone was excellent in everything they do, the world would be run in top notch shape & no one would have any problems with anything. So should we feel forced into giving contractors 5 stars just to avoid waves & to get contractors who are great at their job?[/quote] [quote=Michelle K.]He didn't even give me 5 stars as my hourly rate was too much for him, yet he has kept me on for 6 months & he got me at a steal. [/quote]
Power Member
9 Posts

I wasn't complaining, I was

[ Edited ]
I wasn't complaining, I was saying that he gave people he wouldn't hire again 5 stars even though he didn't like their work, & me 5 for everything but the area about money. One never knows with some people.
Power Member
122 Posts

Whenever I consider applying for a contract

[ Edited ]
Whenever I consider applying for a contract I take a long, hard look at the client's feedback history. It doesn't worry me when they are new but clients who consistently leave bad feedback (and anything below a 4 is, in my book, very poor) are likely to be either incredibly unlucky, incredibly difficult or incompetent at hiring and running a contract. So I do not bid on their projects and I do not accept offers from them. My feedback is very precious to me and I go out of my way and beyond what is asked for on each and every contract. Obviously I would not worry if there is a healthy mix of great, good and bad feedback. Everyone can get unlucky. But some clients, according to the feedback they leave, are just rarely completely satisfied so I won't waste my time working for them. Life is too short to be irritated by people like that! I have all the work I need and I will only work with nice clients who appreciate my work and what I offer them, are fun to work with, and don't wreck my profile at the end of a successfully completed project (if I mess up and get bad feedback then I deserve it, obviously, but that's not what we're talking about here!) Clients have no right to DEMAND that a contractor bids on their contracts. If I don't like what I see when I look at a client's background I move on,and have every right to do so. Clients are not doing me a favour allowing me to bid for their work so should not get their panties in a twist huffing and puffing if I would rather not work for them.
Community Guru
485 Posts

+1

[ Edited ]
[quote=Petra R.]Whenever I consider applying for a contract I take a long, hard look at the client's feedback history. It doesn't worry me when they are new but clients who consistently leave bad feedback (and anything below a 4 is, in my book, very poor) are likely to be either incredibly unlucky, incredibly difficult or incompetent at hiring and running a contract. So I do not bid on their projects and I do not accept offers from them. My feedback is very precious to me and I go out of my way and beyond what is asked for on each and every contract. Obviously I would not worry if there is a healthy mix of great, good and bad feedback. Everyone can get unlucky. But some clients, according to the feedback they leave, are just rarely completely satisfied so I won't waste my time working for them. Life is too short to be irritated by people like that! I have all the work I need and I will only work with nice clients who appreciate my work and what I offer them, are fun to work with, and don't wreck my profile at the end of a successfully completed project (if I mess up and get bad feedback then I deserve it, obviously, but that's not what we're talking about here!) Clients have no right to DEMAND that a contractor bids on their contracts. If I don't like what I see when I look at a client's background I move on,and have every right to do so. Clients are not doing me a favour allowing me to bid for their work so should not get their panties in a twist huffing and puffing if I would rather not work for them.[/quote] completely agree
Community Guru
1,174 Posts

This

[ Edited ]
[quote=Petra R.] Clients have no right to DEMAND that a contractor bids on their contracts. If I don't like what I see when I look at a client's background I move on,and have every right to do so. Clients are not doing me a favour allowing me to bid for their work so should not get their panties in a twist huffing and puffing if I would rather not work for them.[/quote] As a matter of fact, I just declined an invite from a client because of too many low feedback scores from previous contractors. I would have liked to have been able to find out exactly what the problems were, as they might not involve things that affect me, but the comments were deleted so I have no way of knowing and I can't afford to take that risk. I have too much on my plate to be able to waste time with clients who are poor communicators, unreasonable, overly demanding, unappreciative, selfish, etc. I am going to devote my time and energy to good clients who appreciate me.
Power Member
27 Posts

Find The Deserving Clients

[ Edited ]
[quote=Marcia Malory] As a matter of fact, I just declined an invite from a client because of too many low feedback scores from previous contractors. I would have liked to have been able to find out exactly what the problems were, as they might not involve things that affect me, but the comments were deleted so I have no way of knowing and I can't afford to take that risk. I have too much on my plate to be able to waste time with clients who are poor communicators, unreasonable, overly demanding, unappreciative, selfish, etc. I am going to devote my time and energy to good clients who appreciate me.[/qu I agree.
1 Posts

Michelle K.These two

[ Edited ]
Michelle K. These two comments alone makes me wonder who would work for you? Your arrogant and rude. You want a 5 star worker then give us 5 star pay! GOODBYE!