Applying to my job? I have a question for you!

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Power Member
24 Posts

Applying to my job? I have a question for you!

[ Edited ]

When clients are choosing a freelancer for their job, they often have specific screening questions to ask of their applicants. Well, now we make this screening process easy!

Starting today, clients have the opportunity when posting a job to create specific questions for all applicants to answer. Clients can choose from a list of pre-generated questions, or they can create their own - up to five total. We have been testing this ability to add screening questions for a while and we’ve found that by giving applicants specific questions to answer, clients get better information about their applicants, they are better able to compare applicants, and they fill more jobs.

If you’re a client posting a job, you can insert screening questions to your job post in the “Applying to Your Job” section. In this same section, you can now also require a cover letter be submitted by applicants.

Note - this feature will be rolling out to clients over the next couple weeks. If you don't see it yet - sit tight - it will be there soon! If you’re a freelancer applying to a job and you’re asked to answer screening questions, take some time to provide thoughtful responses. Clients will be evaluating your application against others, and they are more likely to respond to freelancers who provide specific answers related to the posted job, and not cut and paste generic answers.

Happy questioning and answering,

The oDesk Crew

Community Guru
1,188 Posts

Sorry, but I think the idea

[ Edited ]
Sorry, but I think the idea of pregenerated questions is ridiculous. They will say nothing about the freelancer's ability to do a specific job. How can the same question apply to a Magento developer, a logo designer and an Ebook writer? We already have some clients including completely pointless questions in their applications. I spend enough time writing targeted cover letters that explain exactly how I am suited for a particular job.
4 Posts

hi

[ Edited ]
[quote=Marcia Malory]Sorry, but I think the idea of pregenerated questions is ridiculous. They will say nothing about the freelancer's ability to do a specific job. How can the same question apply to a Magento developer, a logo designer and an Ebook writer? We already have some clients including completely pointless questions in their applications. I spend enough time writing targeted cover letters that explain exactly how I am suited for a particular job.[/quote] some time we need to understand our client it is our responsibility
Community Guru
1,188 Posts

How is answering stupid

[ Edited ]
How is answering stupid questions that have nothing to do with the job or what the client needs going to help you understand the client?
1 Posts

It's going to help the client

[ Edited ]
It's going to help the client understand that you give attention to detail. I'm sorry you feel that way, but as a client, this is helpful. It's a very quick way to filter through dozens of applications to see who actually takes time to read the job application - if their answers are generic or lame, then it's a good hint to me that they're going to take the same attitude to reading the specs and communications and could cause development time to blow out.
Power Member
11 Posts

Generic questions

[ Edited ]
[quote=Chris J.]It's going to help the client understand that you give attention to detail. I'm sorry you feel that way, but as a client, this is helpful. It's a very quick way to filter through dozens of applications to see who actually takes time to read the job application - if their answers are generic or lame, then it's a good hint to me that they're going to take the same attitude to reading the specs and communications and could cause development time to blow out.[/quote] If you are a client and use these "generic" questions, it seems no different to me than when a freelancer uses a "generic" cover letter.
1 Posts

Re: How is answering stupid

I am not a certified business or financial adviser. All opinions I supply on this forum are my own.***
Power Member
11 Posts

+1 on that. It bothers me to

[ Edited ]
+1 on that. It bothers me to see these questions like these: - "Why did you apply to this particular job?" - "Why do you think you are a good fit for this particular project?" - "Do you have suggestions to make this project run successfully?" - "What challenging part of this job are you most experienced in?" - This one specially is miserable!!! Oh, please. As a contractor, when I find myself in front of questions like these, it's a red alert for me. [Edit] Let me add that, a few days ago when I created a client account and posted a job, two of these questions were already selected by default!
Power Member
10 Posts

Hi Marcelo, could you please

[ Edited ]
Hi Marcelo, could you please tell me exactly which questions are selected by default? This will allow me to understand that the employer did not care to look through the job creation page and uncheck the stupid questions. >Let me add that, a few days ago when I created a client account and posted a job, two of these questions were already selected by default!
3 Posts

"Do you have suggestions to

[ Edited ]
"Do you have suggestions to make this project run successfully?" - How can someone make such suggestions when they have not even worked on the job to know how easy or hard it is?